PhotoPXL / Rockhopper workshops carbon offsets

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Topic: PhotoPXL / Rockhopper workshops carbon offsets Read 803 Times
  • Damon Lynch
    Damon Lynch
    Participant
    About This Site
    on: July 24, 2019 at 6:01 pm

Hi Kevin,

In relation to your photoPXL / Rockhopper workshops, I searched for some information on the possibility of the workshop cost already including carbon offsets (effectively making them prepaid for participants). I am thinking of something like your companies partnering with one or more recognized carbon offset programs.  From the website I was unable to determine if you already do that, or if you have something in the works.

As a NY Times reporter put it earlier today, “Air travel, especially long trips, is one of the worst things an individual can do for the climate. For many, though, swearing off flying isn’t a viable option. That’s where carbon offsets can come in.” Her article introduces carbon offset programs and how to go about evaluating and buying them. She observes “carbon offsets probably cost less than you think”.

I like to think that as awareness grows of the climate emergency, it would be good for business to offer a built-in carbon offset package so that your clients can feel like they’re doing something good for the planet as well as their photography. Your clients wouldn’t need to go to the effort of evaluating a good program because you’ve already done so. Each year you could post an article from your carbon offset partner programs that discusses the positive impact of the programs that all your clients have contributed to.

I don’t know if other programs already do this already. If not, PhotoPXL could establish itself as the market leader. I could see that generating good press coverage.

What do you think?

Damon

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Re: PhotoPXL / Rockhopper workshops carbon offsets
    Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019 at 8:36 pm

Damon,  Thanks for the comments and thoughts.  I have read the article and shared it with others here.  We’ll brainstorm this a bit as it is something new at least as far as the credits go and see if there is something we can do regarding some sort of implementation.  It looks like it is important to select the right group to associate with too.  It’s now on our task list.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Damon Lynch
    Damon Lynch
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019 at 6:02 pm

Thank you Kevin. Obviously the climate emergency is something far bigger than any one of us. But together we can make a difference. I look forward to seeing what your team comes up with. I am especially enthused by the idea that it is a good business move.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019 at 8:31 pm

My wife Debra has taken the lead on this one.  We’ll be looking at a few different things.  She thinks it is a good idea if we can find some sort of model that works.

Kevin Raber

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019 at 9:54 pm

Kevin/Debra: If this is something that interests you, then this group might be of interest: https://www.gstcouncil.org/

Natural Habitat Adventures recently attempted a ‘zero waste’ tour down in Yellowstone… There’s a lot that can be done, but it requires making agreements with hoteliers and everyone else in your chain.

Mike.

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019 at 10:58 pm

While we have a lot on our plates we are doing research on this.  Trying to figure out something that will work with the different kinds of workshops we do.

Kevin Raber

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019 at 10:25 pm

Further to my reply, above. Not specifically carbon offsets, but worth reading nonetheless…

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/what-i-learned-on-the-worlds-first-zero-waste-trip This does require a lot of input from the hotels, restaurants, etc. along the way.

Mike.

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #7 on: August 24, 2019 at 8:24 am

Thanks Mike.  We are looking at several options.  One of them another workshop provider uses.  Presently we are designing the Rockhopper Website.  we are also looking at the various ways and different organizations we may want to work with.  Most likely we will have something to announce by the end of next month.

Kevin Raber

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.