Photography Book Club

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Photography Book Club Read 1755 Times
  • Stephen DesRoches
    Stephen DesRoches
    Participant
    Photography Clubs
    on: May 15, 2020 at 9:21 am

How many here collect photography books? Do you have any recommendations or personal favorites?

The last two episodes of Tequila Time with Art Wolfe showcasing his own book collection have been fun to watch. It may be the results of all the social distancing preventing travel, but I’ve been expanding my own book library with several additions in the past few weeks.

Today, I’m awaiting the delivery of another Edward Burtynsky book.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Re: Photography Book Club
    Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020 at 9:35 am

Stephen, I am a big collector of books and have a bunch I will feature here soon.  I did two books already. https://photopxl.com/?s=bookshelf&pum_form_popup_id=182. and with some new gear I just put in place I plan to do. ore of these.  At my old site, I did a whole video series on Edward Burtynsky and have most of his books.  Good choice for a book.  Art Wolfe is a good friend of mine and all his books are amazing, especially the Human Canvas.

I’ll share more soon.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Stephen DesRoches
    Stephen DesRoches
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020 at 10:21 am

Thanks for the link and I’ve watched that full series you did. It was excellent.

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020 at 8:03 pm

Stephen: In my view there are two types of photography books. There are ‘how to’ books, and there are books of images. Joe McNally’s “The Hot Shoe Diaries” lies within the first category. Freeman Patterson’s “ShadowLight” is definitely in the second. I have books on both. Can’t forget Jeff Schewe’s book on “The Digital Negative” and books on software. To which are you referring?

Mike.

P.S. Freeman Patterson’s “Photography and the Art of Seeing” is my personal favourite. 🙂

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

Hugh Sakols
    Hugh Sakols
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020 at 7:49 pm

OK, here are some of my favorites.

Man & Yosemite A Photographers  View of the Early Years by Ted Orland.  This is a real gem and essentially a history of photography in Yosemite.  It’s a pity that it is out of print.

Nature Photography by John Shaw. I remember learning from these books during the film era.

First Light Five Photographers Explore Yosemite Wilderness by Charles Cramer, Karl Kroeber, Scot Miller, Mike Osborne, and Keith S. Walklet.

William Neill Photographer – A Retrospective  

Large Format Nature Photography by Jack Dykinga.  Not only is this book informative, but still today, the images are stunning.

Russ Lewis
    Russ Lewis
    Silver Member
    Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021 at 10:25 am

For a bibliography that covers a large part of my photographic book collection check http://www.pkinfo.com//Bib/Bib.html. It’s not up to date, but it’s pretty complete.

Donald Bryant
    Donald Bryant
    Gold Member
    Reply #6 on: September 27, 2022 at 7:09 pm

https://www.photoeye.com/bookstore/

Photo Eye in Santa Fe is one of my all time favorite photography book stores – perhaps the only one  I know of specializing in Fine Art photography. I’ve been fortunate to visit the store in person and its fanatastic, IMO.

Fine Art Photography galleries and museums are also sources for collectibles – signed and unsigned. And I have reached out to individual artists seeking signed books and have been successful with that.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.