Phase One Frame Averaging

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Phase One Frame Averaging Read 603 Times
  • Guy Roberts
    Guy Roberts
    Participant
    Cameras, Lenses and Shooting Gear
    on: August 29, 2021 at 12:45 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn’t Olympus introduce this with the OMD EM1X?

Eric Brody
    Eric Brody
    Participant
    Re: Phase One Frame Averaging
    Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021 at 4:13 pm

Sounds wonderful but one can do frame averaging with any camera; it just takes a few steps in Photoshop. I recently got interested in this because I was considering one of the super wide zooms which do not allow simple use of filters. I ultimately changed my mind about the superwide, for now, and am sticking with my 16-35 which does take filters. Phase One makes beautiful gear but the thought of needing a $50k camera to do it is not reasonable for most of us. More power to those who can afford it. I’m only a doctor, not a dentist :-).

Srdjan Mitrovic
    Srdjan Mitrovic
    Silver Member
    Re: Phase One Frame Averaging
    Reply #2 on: September 3, 2021 at 6:01 pm

I am surprised that only a few manufacturers implement frame averaging in cameras. While it is possible to do it in the post, it is quite cumbersome to do it with a larger number of images.

Olympus and Pentax have cameras that implement frame averaging in cameras. Nikon’s DSLRs can use multiple exposures as frame averaging. AFAIK, only Olympus and Phase One implement gapless frame-averaging, which is often necessary for smooth movements.

Note that Olympus is limited to 32 images, while Phase One and Pentax have a much larger max number of frames that can be averaged.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.