pavement

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Topic: pavement Read 1422 Times
  • Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Landscape & Nature Photography
    on: July 19, 2019 at 1:40 pm

Limestone pavement above Ingleton, Yorkshire. Thoughts?

Jeremy

Paulo Bizarro
    Paulo Bizarro
    Participant
    Re: pavement
    Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019 at 7:38 am

I like this one a lot.

larry angier
    larry angier
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019 at 4:05 pm

That’s neat.

--
    Larry Angier
    In the Heart of the Mother Lode of California

Jim Tsioles
    Jim Tsioles
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019 at 6:13 pm

Curious as to why you decided for the long exposure? It seems those clouds could have been dramatic on their own.

There is something working in the shot with the low angel and making a separation between the long exposed sky and large rock. There is a lot of detail at the very bottom of the composition that is slightly taking attention away from the rest of the image. Maybe crop a bit of the bottom out… Also, the image is helped by that the top of the frame is not completely taken over by the clouds.

Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019 at 3:46 am

Thanks, all. Jim, I find myself attracted to long-exposure shots where I see them emphasising the contrast between the ephemeral and the permanent (or at least semi-permanent, in the case of the boulder). Vieri Botazzini uses it  great deal, and I like a lot of his stuff.

Here’s another version, a stitch of that original and a second, taken a minute or so later and panned to the right.

Jeremy

Lance Lewin
    Lance Lewin
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019 at 8:36 pm

A powerful image, indeed, and a very interesting composition: strangely, the clouds in the far right bottom of frame are not smeared – it seems odd if this, too, is a timed/bulbed exposure?

Thank you, Jeremy.

Lance A. Lewin

Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Reply #6 on: July 27, 2019 at 3:01 am

A powerful image, indeed, and a very interesting composition: strangely, the clouds in the far right bottom of frame are not smeared – it seems odd if this, too, is a timed/bulbed exposure?

Thank you, Jeremy.

Thanks, Lance. Both shots were taken with an infra-red filter and exposures of more than a minute. The only possible reason the clouds in the bottom right aren’t smeared is that they weren’t moving! There are wide variations in wind speed on this plateau.

Jeremy

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.