Passwords

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Passwords Read 734 Times
  • Ralph Upchurch
    Ralph Upchurch
    Participant
    About This Site
    on: March 6, 2020 at 10:54 pm

My password for the forums failed tonight, and I was prompted to reset.  The suggested password was 16 random characters (really?)  The one that was apparently deemed too weak was 8 random characters.  What are the password requirements for the site, and have they changed?  And should you really be suggesting passwords if the goal is security?

Christopher Sanderson
    Christopher Sanderson
    Gold Member
    Re: Passwords
    Reply #1 on: March 7, 2020 at 4:20 pm

Hi Ralph, I think I recognize a complaint when I read your post and quite justified too. Sixteen characters does seem excessive.
    Since the suggested password is randomly generated, I don’t believe there is any security risk inherent. I am unsure of the exact requirement settings but will see if we can make them more reasonable.

Ralph Upchurch
    Ralph Upchurch
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: March 7, 2020 at 7:24 pm

Looking back today, I regret that my post came off a little harsh, and I am sorry.  I know everyone on the site is doing their best to grow the forum, and I will do what I can to help.  Sometimes technology shortcomings can be a bit exasperating.  If bringing up the password issue results in improvement, then all will benefit.

Ralph

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: March 7, 2020 at 8:25 pm

we listen and take every comment seriously.  Many things that pop up as issues are beyond our control.  For example, Word Press recently made a change with the latest update.  That change, which was flagging any reply post that had 2 or more links in it for moderator approval.  This is what many replies on the forum weren’t showing up.  As of yesterday, we set that setting to 10 so the odds are good that we won’t be seeing forum responses that don’t show up.

There were also issues with what WP called blacklisting. didn’t sound good.  First, we changed to wording to something more friendly.  We also set the number of tries to get your password higher before you get locked out.  When you are locked out it should only be for an hour.

Many of these rules are meant to stop bots and spammer and overall improve the security of the site.  We believe we have things set now to work better. Let’s see how things go.

The passwords issue is randomly generated.  You can go and change a password to something else once you get back into the system if needed.

Many thanks to Chris who worked hard behind the scenes to fix these issues and with our developers to make the changes needed.

I apologize for any inconvenience anyone suffered.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Jim Kasson
    Jim Kasson
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020 at 10:41 am

Many things that pop up as issues are beyond our control.  For example, Word Press recently made a change with the latest update.  That change, which was flagging any reply post that had 2 or more links in it for moderator approval.

Are you talking about the field in the attachment?

If so, I don’t understand. I’m running WP 5.3.2, and the number of links has been set at 5 for at least the last five years, and updating has never changed that number.

Jim

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020 at 12:30 pm

Jim, was just sharing what our guys had said.  The limit was set to two I believe on ours.  Now set higher.  The question is, is ours now fixed?

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Christopher Sanderson
    Christopher Sanderson
    Gold Member
    Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020 at 12:45 pm

Jim, we are also running WP 5.3.2 (PhotoPXL theme; BBPress for the Forum). I do not see an equivalent control to your screenshot.

Passwords is an open issue; the disappearing posts issue has been solved

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.