Palouse Falls – Behind The Shot

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Palouse Falls – Behind The Shot Read 590 Times
  • Jonathan Cross
    Jonathan Cross
    Participant
    New Article Announcements & Discussions
    on: August 8, 2022 at 4:27 pm

Another interesting article – thanks Kevin.

I love how easy to is to use my iPhone 12 Pro, but also like my Fujis.  This means of doing long exposures is very attractive.  I have a couple of questions that I cannot get the answers from the app supplier website.

Can you use the 3 or 10 second shutter opening delay on the phone?

I normally move photos from the phone to my desktop by Airdrop.  I don’t take many at a time and it is easy.  Do the images taken with these apps appear in the phone photos app as do normal images?  If so, I would then Airdrop them.  Or do they have to go across to the desktop a different way?

I particularly like the idea of taking long RAW exposures.  I am happy with the results of using super resolution with iPhone RAWs in LR, which, of course, gives a 48MP image.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Re: Palouse Falls – Behind The Shot
    Reply #1 on: August 8, 2022 at 5:04 pm

Jonathan

I’ll try to answer these for you.

There is a time delay for the app 3 – 10 or 20 seconds.  You can find the instructions in the tutorial in the setting section of the app.

It is much easier to transfer photos IMO by letting all images go to the photos app.  Set it up to sync to the cloud and all your devices.  Then on a device or your desktop computer open iPhoto select the images and export as unmodified and specify location and folder.  Once you use this method you will see how easy it is plus you get back up in the cloud.  Maybe I should do a video on this.

The new app does great RAWs and they process easily in LR.

This app is a lot of fun to use. Opens up all sorts of possibilities for long exposure photography.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Vid Hunter
    Vid Hunter
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: August 10, 2022 at 3:06 am

Thanks Kevin for the great shot. It make you wonder if investing in an expensive body is still justified (in case of non-professional photography). For example a sony a7 iv is already €3000, excluding lenses. That is about the price of a iphone 13 max pro AND a Macbook Pro. I’m a lucky guy to be able to use Adobe suite for only €20 a year

i find myself more and more in the situation where taking a whole setup is either a no-go or too much hassle and with your advertised apps I could probably make ‘Joel Tjintjelaar’ type of photos. Would nice if you could do an article on such an architect subject with iphones.

(fwiw, in the last few attempts of architecture photography in Rotterdam I got harassed by security people, even though I was on public ground, man they are paranoia these days. Hopefully a small setup with an iphone would make one less vulnerable in that respect than with a big setup)

Ralph Upchurch
    Ralph Upchurch
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: August 11, 2022 at 6:00 pm

One thing that caught my eye in this segment is the ULANZI ST-14 tripod mount.  I have been looking for the best Arca-Swiss compatible mount for iPhone for long exposures and panos.  I would have bought the solution from Really Right Stuff, but it has been back ordered for at least a year.  In my research, I found a newer model by the same company, the Ulanzi ST-28.  It utilizes MagSafe rather than clamps and screws.  Just got it today, and it looks like it will fit the bill.  It requires a ball head on the tripod, where the ST-14 has a ball head on the mount.  But the ST-28 is simple, elegant and light (not to mention $200 cheaper that RRS).

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0136/3119/3188/products/5_6f9c725e-86c5-4a87-81eb-81285c3b2af6_800x.jpg?v=1637206763

Ralph

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.