Olympus?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Olympus? Read 833 Times
  • Hugh Sakols
    Hugh Sakols
    Silver Member
    Cameras, Lenses and Shooting Gear
    on: November 4, 2020 at 10:50 am

I’m stuck thinking about what to do with all my Olympus glass.  I generally shoot full frame, but I’ve made 16 x20 inch prints that are indistinguishable from my full frame Nikon.  Perhaps instead I should pick up a deal on a new body and hope that micro four thirds sticks around for some time?  If I were to travel to someplace overseas (which I’m not doing anytime soon), I’d leave the Nikon at home and photograph which a few prime lenses.  Will JIP ever introduce a new body?

Rick Popham
    Rick Popham
    Participant
    Re: Olympus?
    Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020 at 12:46 pm

I’m hanging on to mine.  I really like the system and plan to upgrade to the latest bodies by the end of the year — the prices are pretty good right now.

That should hold me for the next few years, and I’ll use them while we see what happens with JIP.

Dave L
    Dave L
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: January 1, 2021 at 7:11 pm

My bad posture comes from carrying 2-F3HP’s, motor drives and fast glass while shooting. I bought the F3’s when they first came out. So I speak Nikon well. 😉

I always had a light weight system and a heavy weight system.  My light weight gear was a Leica M3 and lenses; later an M4P and lenses.

My experience…I fell for a sales pitch when the OLY OMD M5 first came out.  Bought a body, grip, 3 lenses.  Along the way, bought a smaller body. I was never happy.  2-1/2 years later I sold all this gear. traded it in…

Pro gear will command better prices than I got. However, my point is to let you know that I only got 23 cents on the dollar trading my gear in.

My thought…keep the gear. See what new body interests you since you’re getting the results you like.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Dave L.
    Srdjan Mitrovic
    Srdjan Mitrovic
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: January 3, 2021 at 5:35 pm

I have ‘rediscovered’ my Olympus system and acquired the latest new M1 cameras and some excellent lenses. Using optimal exposure and Live ND (aka frame averaging), it is possible to create images that are very close to the IQ of FF systems. IMO, the main differentiator between systems is the lenses. My FF and MF systems are currently taking a break. :).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.