New Article Published – The Ultimate Drone Pilot Paul Nurkkala

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Topic: New Article Published – The Ultimate Drone Pilot Paul Nurkkala Read 1752 Times
  • Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    New Article Announcements & Discussions
    on: July 15, 2019 at 8:51 pm

There is drone flying and then there is real drone flying. I just published an article and video about Paul Nurkkala who does just the most amazing photography with a drone. Check out the link to his video that went viral with over 2.2 million views. It’s extraordinary. You can find the article HERE  

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Michael Burke
    Michael Burke
    Participant
    Re: New Article Published – The Ultimate Drone Pilot Paul Nurkkala
    Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019 at 8:16 am

It looks like the Russians are after you Kevin. This was a great article. Drones have been fascinating me for some time. Some articles on how to get started and what’s involved would be really interesting.

Mike

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019 at 8:25 am

Yes, I see the Russians are after me.  We will be doing more Drone stuff.   Thanks Micahel.

Kevin Raber

Rand Scott Adams
    Rand Scott Adams
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019 at 9:26 am

The video of Paul Nurkkala is quite wonderful!  I wasn’t sure what to expect, but was amazed at his work.  Visually exciting is too mild a way to put it.  I’ve seen a lot of drone footage and most of it brings new points of view that are compelling just because of the “point of view” achievable.  There’s a huge “something extra” in Paul’s work that is attributable to a couple of things, I think.  First, his skill as a pilot/photographer is pretty much unsurpassed and brings a dynamism to the “drone point of view” that I’ve never seen before, nor even imagined possible (hey, I’m old).  Second and of equal importance is that there’s a whimsical sense to his footage that comes from his personality, I think.  Cool guy…. cool, fun, and somehow playful and “optimistic” view of life comes through in his videos.

GREAT STUFF . . .

Rand

Rand Scott Adams Rand47

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019 at 9:47 am

Thanks, Rand, Expect more from Paul in the future.

Kevin Raber

Hugh Sakols
    Hugh Sakols
    Silver Member
    Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019 at 8:15 pm

Paul Nurkkala seems like a really nice guy and he certainly is a skilled pilot.  I admit I love the idea of drone racing and the perspective one can get from this amazing technology.  However, drone pilots also have to adhere to ethics and rules.  I found the section of the video where the train conductor shut his window a bit over the top – I personally felt he crossed an ethical boundary.  I say this because in Yosemite there have been multiple incidences where a rescue was going on and a private drone all of a sudden shows up – this is completely unacceptable and puts the entire rescue crew in the helicopter at even more risk.  Drones are illegal in our national parks.  That being said, I want to learn to fly, and I’d love to learn by someone like Paul. I thought it was so cool the way he can just rebuild the entire drone after a crash.   But please, leave your drone home when visiting our national parks.  I hope I don’t piss a bunch of people off.  I just want to raise awareness of an ongoing issue.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019 at 8:33 pm

I agree with you and I mentioned in the article about what he did but nonetheless, it is pretty cool.  It was completely spontaneous capturing the train.  Drones are controversial for sure and there are some people doing stupid stuff with them, but there are others that adhere to the rules and regulations.

We are doing a special project in Antarctica later this year and Paul will be with us doing what should turn out to be amazing footage.  We have all the permits to do what we’re are doing.  None of it will be above wildlife or interfere with it.  Plus there other rules as part of the permit.  We will cover it in our behind the scenes when we do the project.

Paul flies like the drone is part of him.  I couldn’t get three feet without crashing.  So, doing what he does brings a new perspective to photography with drones.  And, that’s fun and refreshing.

Would anyone be interested in a guide to drone flying?  It’s a video tutorial I have been mulling over as an idea.

Kevin Raber

Michael Burke
    Michael Burke
    Participant
    Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019 at 6:26 am

A guide to drone flying and photography would be great. How to get started, what equipment is involved, software, costs, rules and regulations, etc. Would be a fun area to get involved in.

Mike

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.