Mark as “Read”

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Mark as “Read” Read 822 Times
  • Jeff Schewe
    Jeff Schewe
    Gold Member
    About This Site
    on: September 20, 2020 at 1:17 am

Sure wish there was a way to to mark a thread as read to get rid of the unread or new reply tabs to make it easier to scan for new things of possible interest. Many threads are simply not interesting to me but it becomes very difficult to see new stuff at a glance and the New Posts Since Last Visit is lacking the ability to see what sub-forum the new posts are from making it more difficult to track those subforms I want to follow…

Just sayin’, that old forum whose name escapes me had the ability to mark an entire subform as “Read” and return to the main forums. It’s something I really, really miss…

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Re: Mark as “Read”
    Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020 at 6:48 pm

I usually use Topics Freshness rather than New Posts … Your idea certainly has merit, though.

Mike.

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

Christopher Sanderson
    Christopher Sanderson
    Gold Member
    Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020 at 11:48 am

I will ask the techs if this is possible in WordPress/bbPress but a look through the admin side suggests that it may not be.

The closest method of achieving the old forum functionality is to use the Subscribe function. Thus when you visit, you can limit the threads viewed to those to which you have subscribed. But in order to pick up a new thread of interest, you would still need to look at Topics Freshness or Posts since Last Visit. 

Jeff Schewe
    Jeff Schewe
    Gold Member
    Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020 at 3:55 am

Chris, well, thanks for running it up the flag pole…

General User
    General User
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: October 1, 2020 at 3:03 pm

We are experimenting with a forum-wide “Mark as Read” feature. If you see a button or link like that, it may not yet appear to do anything

Stay tuned

Chris Sanderson

Jeff Schewe
    Jeff Schewe
    Gold Member
    Reply #5 on: October 2, 2020 at 4:26 am

Kool!

Bud James
    Bud James
    Participant
    Reply #6 on: October 7, 2020 at 8:22 am

Sure wish there was a way to to mark a thread as read to get rid of the unread or new reply tabs to make it easier to scan for new things of possible interest. Many threads are simply not interesting to me but it becomes very difficult to see new stuff at a glance and the New Posts Since Last Visit is lacking the ability to see what sub-forum the new posts are from making it more difficult to track those subforms I want to follow…

Just sayin’, that old forum whose name escapes me had the ability to mark an entire subform as “Read” and return to the main forums. It’s something I really, really miss…

I agree. That would be a nice feature.

Regards,

Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at http://www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at http://www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

Christopher Sanderson
    Christopher Sanderson
    Gold Member
    Reply #7 on: October 10, 2020 at 9:41 am

It looks like this is now implemented. At the head of each forum, there is now a ‘Mark all as Read’ link and the appropriate confirmation once clicked. Seems to me to work well. Please give feedback here.

Jeff Schewe
    Jeff Schewe
    Gold Member
    Reply #8 on: October 10, 2020 at 11:32 am

Chris, seems to work well on threads where the Mark As Read shows up. Not all threads with unread messages seem to have it…but thanks you very much for adding this!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.