Long Term Parking

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Long Term Parking Read 1153 Times
  • Daniel Smith
    Daniel Smith
    Participant
    Black & White
    on: August 24, 2019 at 8:27 am

Long Term Parking

Camera is a Sigma DP3 Merrill.

This Chevy has been in its parking space a long time now. Have been photographing it on and off for a few years. Watching the trees grow has been fun. Rural North Dakota. Great light and some interesting places. Major league farming area.

If you don’t do winter – you don’t live here.

"A good still photograph, studied by an inquiring mind, frequently yields more information than a mile of moving images". Walter Cronkite, New York, June 1989

• This topic was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Daniel Smith.
    • This topic was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Daniel Smith.
    Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Re: Long Term Parking
    Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019 at 10:53 am

Badass car.  I remember an old TV show Called Highway Patrol that used old Chevys like this.  What a story these things tell.  Why did someone park it there and just walk away?  Wouldn’t you like to know?

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

David Rosser
    David Rosser
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019 at 11:57 am

Can’t resist showing this bit of interesting parking – please forgive that it’s in colour.
    Tight Parking

Dave Rosser
    www.rosser.org.uk
    www.davidrosser.uk

Daniel Smith
    Daniel Smith
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019 at 1:43 pm

We have a lot of that in the area. Older cars put into a barn and sit for years, decades. Some in fields or old farmsteads… sitting.

Newer vehicles are purchased and the older stuff not used much. Some kept up, many just sit. Not going to be sold or restored – not til the original family passes on and children or relatives or a new property owner decides to clean out the old junk.

To the Greenhouse

Then, we have those who find use for the older vehicles. Sigma DP3 Merrill.

Some do restoration while others let things sit. A neighbor is constantly reminding all who go to the old place “don’t touch the truck, I’m going to restore it”. That is what he’s been saying for the past 22 years. Meanwhile, the truck sits and gets a nice layer of lichens, rust and character on all surfaces. The windows still crank up and down and the windshield is still in it with no bullet holes. He does use it at least a week or so a year – as a deer stand. Sits in the cab and waits for the deer to come into range. Half the time he spends napping while insisting he’s “resting his eyes”. The truck will probably be there for another 22 years at this rate.

"A good still photograph, studied by an inquiring mind, frequently yields more information than a mile of moving images". Walter Cronkite, New York, June 1989

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019 at 1:00 am

Used to see a lot of a andoned vehicles, incl. farm equipment, when I worked in Saskatchewan. There’s a place in Kelowna, BC where Mission Creek runs through a steep canyon and I’ve seen a few vehicles pushed off the cliff there. The stream roughs them up some in the spring.

I don’t know if it’s still the law in Germany or not but I remember a time when vehicle manufacturers were responsible for the disposal of their vehicles. Makes sense to me.

Mike.

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

Daniel Smith
    Daniel Smith
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: September 2, 2019 at 2:00 pm

Used to see a lot of a andoned vehicles, incl. farm equipment, when I worked in Saskatchewan. There’s a place in Kelowna, BC where Mission Creek runs through a steep canyon and I’ve seen a few vehicles pushed off the cliff there. The stream roughs them up some in the spring.

I don’t know if it’s still the law in Germany or not but I remember a time when vehicle manufacturers were responsible for the disposal of their vehicles. Makes sense to me.

Mike.

Why would the maker be responsible for vehicles once sold? Who would be responsible for our Henry J? Or the old Hudson Hornet?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.