leaves

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Topic: leaves Read 338 Times
  • Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Landscape & Nature Photography
    on: November 20, 2020 at 12:13 pm

In my garden, in what I suspect will be the last sunshine for a while. Thoughts?

pxl-2-2

pxl-9

Jeremy

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Re: leaves
    Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020 at 3:55 pm

Of the two I prefer the first, although I would want to keep the roofline(?) out of the bottom left corner. Sometimes you get what you can get.

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

John Sadowsky
    John Sadowsky
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020 at 11:14 am

I like the first one better too.  The sharpness of the leaf and crunchiness of the twigs is awesome.

Here are two leaf shots I got in Vermont recently.  I’m not 100% satisfied.  The second one doesn’t have enough DoF.  The first one is a tour de force of C1 processing with the leaves pushed 1.5 stops relative to the background.  I first selected the yellow-orange leaves using the advanced color tool, and then converted the selection to a layer mask so I could tweak the mask (off the twigs and parts of the water and background) and, of course, apply all tools (exposure, saturation, clarity, sharpening, etc.) to just the yellow leaves.  I find I often end up with ugly masking effects when I try to do that much of a difference between detailed elements and the background.

JSS

John Sadowsky
    John Sadowsky
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020 at 11:28 am

In my garden, in what I suspect will be the last sunshine for a while. Thoughts?

Additional comment:  I suspect that the reason that Mike and I liked the first better is that the first has a blue background.  Yellow and blue are complementary colors.  We usually think of “contrast” in the tonal dimension.  Complementary colors can be thought of as a contrast in the color plane.

JSS

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.