iPhone photography

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Topic: iPhone photography Read 8851 Times
  • Debra Fadely-Raber
    Debra Fadely-Raber
    Gold Member
    Mobile and Cell Phone Photography
    on: June 26, 2019 at 6:46 am

Rad Drew is one of the best at iPhone photography and post processing. I’ve learned so much. There is so much out there and it’s nice to see what different apps can do. I would be interested to know what everyone’s favorite apps are. My favorite is Snapseed for overall editing.

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Re: iPhone photography
    Reply #1 on: August 8, 2019 at 8:21 pm

Debra: I have far too many photography-related apps on my (Android) phone. I recently did a talk for our local photography group on “Cell Phones, HDR and Panoramas”, which isn’t just about apps but about making images with one’s phone that can then be processed on a computer…extending the abilities of that tiny sensor

The idea started out as a blog post, and now I’m trying to figure out how to compress a 1-hour presentation into a blog post. If I get it done, and if you’re interested, I can post the link for you.

Mike.

P. S. I also use Snapseed most of the time for mobile processing. With the Sony A7R III, in a pinch I can even send the jpg of an image to my phone and push it around in Snapseed.

Like this: DSC4648-01

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

Debra Fadely-Raber
    Debra Fadely-Raber
    Gold Member
    Reply #2 on: August 8, 2019 at 9:41 pm

Very cool Mike. I like that shot and the processing. I would be interested in your blog post when you finish it. This is one I did of our 3 kittens.

Three Kittens

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: August 9, 2019 at 3:37 pm

Okay, Debra. I’ll see what I can put together. Just don’t hold your breath! The talk I did was about more than phones; basically it compared different software I have on my computer for HDR and panoramas, but cell phones are an important element to this because a) they’re ubiquitous and b) they’re technically limited. Few shoot raw, and pretty much all of them have tiny sensors. HDR image capture makes less sense if you have a camera that has 14 stops of dynamic range (at low ISO) to begin with. My wife Marcia is an avowed cell phone photographer. She used to claim she didn’t know an f/stop from a door stop, but she’s been hanging out with me too long. I push most of her images around on the ‘omputer a bit, but she has a good eye to start with.

Here’s one of her cell phone HDR images (Crystal Cove, Tofino, BC).

20181026-83-HDR-Edit

Mike.

P.S. Nothing does lens flare like a cell phone!

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019 at 5:24 pm

Hi Debra: Here ya go. I mostly write these posts for beginners, so while I’m sure many of the more experienced people here could critique the hell out of my writings, it’s a balance between getting information out and simply confusing people. 🙂

Mike.

Cell Phones, HDR and Panoramas

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019 at 6:57 pm

P.S. I was looking through some older posts the other day, and thought these two might be relevant here. The first is on using the exposure controls in your smart phone software along with the phone’s flash for creative use:

Flash Exposure Compensation for Smart Phones

The second is a suggestion for using different apps like Prisma, Snapseed and Photoshop Express/ Photoshop Fix/ Photoshop Mix, etc.

Creative Photography Work

Mike.

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC

Debra Fadely-Raber
    Debra Fadely-Raber
    Gold Member
    Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019 at 1:43 pm

Very nice Mike. There are really endless possibilities if one has the desire and makes the time to learn new things to set their images apart from the basic ones you get from a smart phone.

D

Debra Fadely-Raber
    Debra Fadely-Raber
    Gold Member
    Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019 at 2:41 pm
    Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019 at 9:03 am

Sounds good. It is fun to play with phones and cameras. Push them around. See what you can get. Really quite amazing. I love your wife’s image. Silhouette is always interesting and adds a bit of mystery to the image. It’s such a strong graphic element. And yes on the lens flare. So interesting with the live view you can move around and touch the screen and adjust until you see it and then snap.

Debra Fadely-Raber
    Debra Fadely-Raber
    Gold Member
    Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019 at 2:43 pm

Thanks for sending. It’s very good. It really helps when people can see the comparisons. I don’t think most people think about it that much, they just want good photos and depend on their phone to do the work for them. For the people that actually want some control and be able to count on expected outcomes your post will be really helpful.

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019 at 2:48 pm

As has been said, they’re tools, but it can be fun seeing what one can make with them.

I remember, nearly 40 years ago – back in the early 80s – walking into a camera shop just as a woman was leaving. The owner told me she’d just bought $700 worth of camera equipment because she was going on vacation and wanted to take nice pictures. I looked at him and said, “She’s going to be SO disappointed.”

Maybe someday we’ll reach the point where one doesn’t need a photographer’s eye or imagination… but then, what would be the point? ?

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC

Debra Fadely-Raber
    Debra Fadely-Raber
    Gold Member
    Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019 at 6:57 pm

That is so true. A good eye for composition and imagination makes good pictures. Cameras don’t. So, I sent you a message on your profile. Let me know if you get it.

Debra

Ed Okie
    Ed Okie
    Participant
    Reply #11 on: November 11, 2021 at 6:36 pm

Decades of experience with SLR’s and DSLR’s… now stepping into use of an iPhone 13 Pro Max. Any recommendations for noteworthy informational websites or online courses with emphasis leaning toward pro-level skills the multitude of hidden features worth exploring in the iPhone.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.