Image attachment issues (formerly India: Open all Hours)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Image attachment issues (formerly India: Open all Hours) Read 20774 Times
  • Keith Laban
    Keith Laban
    Participant
    About This Site
    on: July 9, 2019 at 6:44 am

Open all Hours, a selection of recent images capturing businesses and services, on the streets of India.

Varanasi_Barbershop-1

Varanasi Trader

Street Food Varanasi

Hole in Wall

Varanasi Fast Food

Awaiting Custom

The Tailor of Jodhpur

On the Boil

A massage with that haircut, Sir?

Keith Laban
    Keith Laban
    Participant
    Re: Image attachment issues (formerly India: Open all Hours)
    Reply #1 on: July 9, 2019 at 6:48 am

Hmm, no images showing using ‘source’ on upload? All displayed OK in the preview browser but on upload all that appeared was text.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: July 9, 2019 at 8:18 am

Hmmm, we will look at this, maybe better you use the attachment feature at the bottom.   Pictures work fine that way and when you click on the, they open large.  In the meantime we will have our developers look at the issue of bringing in photos from the photo feature above.

Please consider posting images like this in the community page. They will be more visible and people can rate and comment on them.

Thanks, good to see you here.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Keith Laban
    Keith Laban
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: July 9, 2019 at 9:07 am

Hmmm, we will look at this, maybe better you use the attachment feature at the bottom. Pictures work fine that way and when you click on the, they open large. In the meantime we will have our developers look at the issue of bringing in photos from the photo feature above.

Please consider posting images like this in the community page. They will be more visible and people can rate and comment on them.

Thanks, good to see you here.

Kevin, many thanks, appreciated.

I do prefer to host all images on my site rather than upload images on multiple sites as attachments. I also wanted to upload these images as a series.

This snag apart, it’s good to be here.

Keith

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: July 9, 2019 at 9:17 am

I’ve made a report on this so we’ll see if it can be fixed.

Kevin Raber

Christopher Sanderson
    Christopher Sanderson
    Gold Member
    Reply #5 on: July 9, 2019 at 4:21 pm

This is a work-in-progress and the ‘img’ button is confusing and does not work using an embedded URL… the button should likely be removed if possible

At this point and without some serious modification of this site’s WP specs, it is not possible to insert a link to your own site and have the image display within the post.

In order to do that, the host site must be white-listed and must also support a protocol used by WordPress called ‘oEmbed’. There are various sites that are white-listed which include: Cloudup, Facebook, Flickr, Instagram, Photobucket, SlideShare, SmugMug, Speaker Deck, Tumblr, Twitter, and others…

However if the image is attached to the post (as I have done with two of the images here), it can be additionally inserted into the post’s text. As shown here

Screen-Shot-2019-07-09-at-3.35.45-PM

Thus it appears within the post and in the footer as a thumbnail of the attachment.

Keith Laban
    Keith Laban
    Participant
    Reply #6 on: July 9, 2019 at 5:48 pm

Chris, many thanks for your efforts, much appreciated.

For the moment at least and for the reasons I highlighted earlier, I’m not keen on posting images to threads as attachments.

I’m having difficulty removing my content on this thread, there seems little point in it remaining. However it could be useful to leave your content here in case other contributors are trying to have images upload to threads on photopxl directly from their own websites.

Thanks again.

Keith

Keith Laban
    Keith Laban
    Participant
    Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019 at 3:59 am

Given this is an image sharing site I am somewhat surprised and dissapointed about this issue.

I understand this is a software thang, but on other sites such as Luminous Landscape, GetDPI, the Leica Forums and many more, I and many other contributors host our images on our own websites and yet using the image tag or source our images can appear directly within threads without problem and without uploading as attachments.

I’d love to be posting images to this brand new and exciting photography resource but with the current software limitations I’m stymied.

I really do wish this site well – God knows we need it!

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019 at 8:26 am

We have a meeting on this today.  Our developers are clever.  We will see what we come up with.

Kevin Raber

Keith Laban
    Keith Laban
    Participant
    Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019 at 8:51 am

Thank you, Kevin, much appreciated.

Christopher Sanderson
    Christopher Sanderson
    Gold Member
    Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019 at 2:16 pm

Keith, I believe the method you wish to use where your site hosts the inserted images will work if your website uses Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS).

This changes the URL to be https rather than http and requires a SSL certificate.

https://www.tutorialsteacher.com/https/what-is-https

Keith Laban
    Keith Laban
    Participant
    Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019 at 3:47 pm

Thanks, Chris.

I’ve looked into getting  SSL certification in the past but this is a pay for service via my web host and frankly now that I’m no longer in business I would have no other use for it. It’s not as though I need SSL certification to contribute images to other forums.

Keith

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.