hestur

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Topic: hestur Read 203 Times
  • Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Landscape & Nature Photography
    on: June 26, 2022 at 3:25 pm

pxl-14

Jeremy

Geof Margo
    Geof Margo
    Participant
    Re: hestur
    Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022 at 9:16 am

Jeremy, I’ve been awol from the site for a while. I have now caught up on your recent Faroe Islands postings. Beautiful photos and as I said a while back, it is so interesting and helpful to me to see your take on a landscape that I saw at the same time. I wonder what you think of this idea: the immediate appeal of those landscapes is their moodiness, but what I also think makes a big impact is their elegant simplicity. Not a lot of distraction, in a good sense. When I look at urban scenes where I live, everything is so complex, a lot happening visually. It takes an effort to get out of Faroe simplicity to engage with urban cacophony!

Russ Lewis
    Russ Lewis
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: June 28, 2022 at 2:53 pm

A good one, Jeremy. Desolate and spooky.

Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Reply #3 on: June 29, 2022 at 12:06 pm

Jeremy, I’ve been awol from the site for a while. I have now caught up on your recent Faroe Islands postings. Beautiful photos and as I said a while back, it is so interesting and helpful to me to see your take on a landscape that I saw at the same time. I wonder what you think of this idea: the immediate appeal of those landscapes is their moodiness, but what I also think makes a big impact is their elegant simplicity. Not a lot of distraction, in a good sense. When I look at urban scenes where I live, everything is so complex, a lot happening visually. It takes an effort to get out of Faroe simplicity to engage with urban cacophony!

Geof, thanks. I go through minimalist phases from time to time and generally I prefer simplicity. I find urban photography hard, perhaps because of the challenge of finding a lean, uncluttered look. Last December I did a workshop in Venice with Steve Gosling and Mark Banks, which was fun despite (or perhaps because of) being challenging (I’ve posted some of my shots here, and they’re on my site jbr.is/venice, too). The point you make about different ways of seeing was very evident among the group there.

Jeremy

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.