HEIF/HEIC

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Topic: HEIF/HEIC Read 1841 Times
  • John Sadowsky
    John Sadowsky
    Participant
    General
    on: December 14, 2019 at 10:46 am

Apparently, C1, Lr and Affinity don’t support HEIF/HEIC.  Why not?

For those who don’t know, HEIF/HEIC is the replacement for JPEG – file sizes are 50% of JPEG for comparable quality, and it supports a 16-bit mode.  iPhone is adopting it, so it is going to be a common image file format.

JSS

• This topic was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Christopher Sanderson. Reason: Moved from Speaker's Corner
    • This topic was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Christopher Sanderson. Reason: Now there is a General PP forum. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Jeff Schewe
    Jeff Schewe
    Gold Member
    Re: HEIF/HEIC
    Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019 at 2:33 am

Lightroom Classic and ACR imports HEIC assuming you’ve got your iPhone settings set correctly…

Michael Burke
    Michael Burke
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019 at 9:27 am

does On1 Photo Raw

John Sadowsky
    John Sadowsky
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019 at 2:12 pm

Indeed I was able to import HEIC in Lr, but not export as HEIC – seems odd.  C1 does not even import.

JSS

Brian Kimball
    Brian Kimball
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019 at 1:04 am

My understanding is HEIF uses h.265 for encoding images and it is highly patent encumbered.  I wouldn’t expect Adobe to start paying that “tax” until customers begin to loudly demand HEIF export support.  It doesn’t look like we’re there yet.

I swear I just recently ran across an article describing the licensing mess that HEIF is, but now I can’t find it… sorry.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019 at 8:39 am

New file formats take a while to be adapted and for everyone to adapt to them.  JPEG 2000 never took off.  I was at a presentation when a ton of photographers was told this was the format of the future.

Apple’s own photos program doesn’t even offer HEIF/HEIC  as an export feature from their photos app.  You would think they would at least be the first to offer it.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Brian Kimball
    Brian Kimball
    Participant
    Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019 at 4:34 pm

Apple’s own photos program doesn’t even offer HEIF/HEIC as an export feature from their photos app. You would think they would at least be the first to offer it.

And macOS’ Preview does offer HEIC export.  Odd indeed.

John Sadowsky
    John Sadowsky
    Participant
    Reply #7 on: December 22, 2019 at 5:53 pm

And macOS’ Preview does offer HEIC export.  Odd indeed.

Yeah – that’s the solution.  Preview will convert them to JPEG, TIFF, PNG, and a few others.

JSS

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.