Hahnemühle Photo Cards Size A5 – white border

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Hahnemühle Photo Cards Size A5 – white border Read 354 Times
  • Erik Brammer
    Erik Brammer
    Participant
    Papers & Media
    on: April 21, 2022 at 12:53 pm

Hello everyone,

I have just purchased my first box of Hahnemühle Photo Cards based on Photo Rag 308 in the A5 sheet size – inspired by Kevin’s article and the video on presentation with Jeff and Dano. I do not want to print borderless (I just don’t like it, plus the hassle with Hahnemühle’s recommendation for mounting the Photo Cards on a support sheet of paper). For the 4×6 Photo Cards, Kevin mentions in his article that he is setting the long dimension of the image to be 5″ long. Would anyone have a good recommendation for the white border when printing on A5? I was thinking of 15mm for the narrower one of the borders.

(Of course, I could also crop the image to 180mm x 118 mm which would make an exact 15mm border on each side. But some images simply don’t lend themselves to cropping very well.)

Thanks,

Erik

• This topic was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Erik Brammer. Reason: Typo
    Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Re: Hahnemühle Photo Cards Size A5 – white border
    Reply #1 on: April 21, 2022 at 9:09 pm

What printer are you using? It was real easy to print these in Epson Print Layout.  Also, very easy in ImagePrint.  you can also do it in Lightroom.  I practiced on a few pieces of paper first.  Take a letter size and cut it 4 x6 inched and run these to size up and make sure everything is working then once you know it is OK you can start to print the folio tin paper.  I did try borderless but I just didn’t like it.  It was real easy by setting the long dimension to 5 inches and turning on centering.

Be aware though, once you make your first set you may become addicted.  Let us know how it goes.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Erik Brammer
    Erik Brammer
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: April 22, 2022 at 1:19 am

Hi Kevin,

I am printing on an Epson P900 using Qimage One. So I am not concerned at all about the technicalities of setting a desired printer margin or feeding the Photo Cards through the printer. I was rather looking for experiences and advices on what printer margins would look compositionally pleasing when printing on those A5 Photo Cards.

Would you mind sharing what you set as the narrowest margin when printing on the A5 size of the Photo Cards? My suggestion above of >= 15mm translates into about 0.6″, or a bit less than 2/3″.

Otherwise, thanks for your suggestion of doing test prints. I have a bunch of A4 sheets of some lustre photo papers that I don’t like anyway. So I can cut those in half and test with the resulting A5 sheets. Using some rather high-key images for testing won’t even waste a lot of paper. And I could even cut the round corners. 🙂

I am afraid of getting addicted to these as one could think – only think – that this form of presentation is rather inexpensive. It’s all a function of volume, I am afraid.

Best regards,

Erik

Erik Brammer
    Erik Brammer
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: April 22, 2022 at 4:52 am

I just printed 2 images on an A4 sheet and then cut it in half to yield the 2 x A5 with margin as per the attached image. I also did a sloppy job in cutting the corners round as this may have an impact of the evaluation of the margins. The version with the narrower margins has 10mm margins, the other one 15mm margins. 15mm is too wide for my liking. 10mm probably a bit too narrow. I will probably do another test print with margins right in the middle, i.e. 12.5mm which would be pretty much exactly 1/2″ for those operating in the imperial system.

IMG_0044

BTW: I took this particular picture of the two prints with an iPhone which drastically oversaturates the images as far as I am concerned. The real prints are less saturated which I like better.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Erik Brammer.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Erik Brammer. Reason: BTW annotation
    Erik Brammer
    Erik Brammer
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: April 22, 2022 at 5:50 am

And now the same images printed again with 12.5mm / 1/2″ margin on A5 with sloppy rounded corners. This shall be my way forward. Again, 12.5mm will be the minimum margin. If the aspect ratio of a given image doesn’t match the aspect ratio of the net image size here of (210 – 25 = 185)mm x (148.5 – 25 = 123.5)mm, one of the margins will be wider than 12.5mm.

IMG_0045

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #5 on: April 22, 2022 at 9:23 am

They loook grat maximize the image size and still have borders.  The reason why I use long edge center is I crop for the subject so many times I won’t have even borders all the way around.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Erik Brammer
    Erik Brammer
    Participant
    Reply #6 on: April 22, 2022 at 9:31 am

Thanks for your feedback, Kevin, and yes, cropping images for the subject resulting in uneven borders around makes sense, or when I want to keep a carefully framed 4:3 or 3:2 aspect ratio. For me it was important to determine the minimum border I would like to see, and 12.5mm seems to work well for me.

Erik Brammer
    Erik Brammer
    Participant
    Reply #7 on: May 2, 2022 at 6:14 am

I just completed my first project with Hahnemühle Photo Cards – one box of Photo Rag 308 and one box of Photo Rag Baryta. These are all images from a place in walking distance from where I live, called “Streuobstwiesen”. It takes people on my typical walk through that area and mixes images from different times of the year, times of day and weather conditions. So far, I am keeping the Photo Rag 308 prints, a lot of which are shots done at night, many B&W, many in fog, separate from the ones done on Photo Rag Baryta which tend to be more colourful. But I might try mixing them to be all combined along my typical walk. It could be very interesting to see the same spot in the morning, in the evening, or at night, in the spring, summer, fall or winter, in the sun, rain or fog. So many different facettes to that area.

Kevin, I have just ordered a Dymo plus 3 roles of black tape. I didn’t even know that thing still existed. Your idea of using the Dymo to label these Photo Card boxes is so old school and as such cool. Thanks for sharing that in your article and the video with Jeff and Dano!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.