Glen Affric

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Glen Affric Read 155 Times
  • Jonathan Cross
    Jonathan Cross
    Participant
    Mobile and Cell Phone Photography
    on: September 9, 2023 at 1:50 pm

I had a trip to Scotland last week, specifically for wildlife and scenery.  For all bar a pine marten shoot from a hide, I just used either a 100-400 lens on a Fuji X-T4, or my iPhone 12pro.  Attached is an iPhone image taken in Glen Affric.  It was taken as a RAW image, processed in LR and cropped slightly.  Super resolution was applied to upscale to a 44MP image.  

I am well pleased, but comments and constructive criticism welcomed.

Jonathan

• This topic was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by Jonathan Cross. Reason: funny characters appeared after submission
    Christopher Sanderson
    Christopher Sanderson
    Gold Member
    Re: Glen Affric
    Reply #1 on: September 10, 2023 at 12:35 pm

Lovely photograph. I might have tried to ‘tame’ the horizontal slash of sunlight that crosses the picture mid-frame. Drawing the eye as that brightness does, it rather impedes the eye seeking the deep perspective of the receding track.

Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Reply #2 on: September 12, 2023 at 11:26 am

I agree with Chris. It should be pretty straightforward to clone some detail into the track. It’s a pleasing image, worth a bit of attention.

Jeremy

Jonathan Cross
    Jonathan Cross
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: September 12, 2023 at 4:01 pm

Thanks Chris and Jeremy for your comments.  I had been photographing the Plodda Falls on the south side of Glen Affric and come across this on the way back to the carpark.  The sky was not going to change as it was a very clear day.  I normally like to do minimal LR adjustments to have a photo that reflects my memory.  The bright patch of sunlight was there and fitted my memory of a sunny day.  Your suggestions made me revisit the image and using the heal tool in LR quickly removed the bright patch on the path.  I have also had a go at the bright patches on the right and on the tree trunk.  The trunk was easy, but the patches in the grass/undergrowth need more work.  I agree that doing this makes a ‘better’ image, so I may well reprint when I have done some more work.

I am trying using 3M repositionable spray mount to fix prints to Daler 3mm foam board, which makes the print rigid with very little extra weight, and easy to pass round to people, yet also easy to slip into a frame.   My main gear takeaway from the trip (and a previous one to Belfast) was how processing iPhone images in LR, using super resolution or denoise if necessary, can result in acceptable prints.  Obviously photographing a golden eagle or red deer, both several hundred yards away meant I had a long lens with me, but I was only carrying the one camera and lens apart from the iPhone. This kinda fits with Kevin’s piece on GAS!

Thanks again,

Jonathan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.