GAS – Gear Aquisition Syndrom

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Topic: GAS – Gear Aquisition Syndrom Read 64 Times
  • Oliver Ritter-Wolff
    Oliver Ritter-Wolff
    Participant
    Cameras, Lenses and Shooting Gear
    on: September 4, 2020 at 4:08 am

GAS – Gear Aqisition Syndrome … I plead guilty ;). So I thought after reading Kevin’s article about this. Especially in times like these, where we have big problems with COVID-19 worldwide, you question a lot.

Photography but also technology have always inspired me. To be able to combine both has always given me a lot of pleasure. This enthusiasm has also led to the purchase of many camera systems over the years, but these were always used. With the digitalization the process has definitely increased in turnover. This was not a problem as long as we had our picture agency and the color management services were running well. In the meantime, however, I am a private photographer, I take less pictures than before and there is very little income from stock photography.

Photography has become a pure passion for me. In terms of GAS, this has led to the fact that I have started to reduce my system, i.e. to sell a lot.

The first thing I did was to part with my Olympus mFT system. I gave my Panasonic mFT system to my son and daughter, who had been using it for videography and photography for a long time anyway. The next system that had to leave my cabinets was the Nikon Z6, as well as some still existing F-lenses from old times and a Z-lens.

Last but not least, I parted with my Fuji XT system and the GFX system with some of its lenses, because I wanted to re-evaluate my system portfolio to be able to show what is the core of my forographic activities in the years to come.

My new system base now consists of the new Canon RF-System with the EOS R5 and a set of RF-lenses, as well as the Panasonic Lumix S-System with the S1 and S1R, and some Panasonic and Sigma L-Mount lenses.

My two film scanners, a Nikon 9000ED and an Epson V750, with which I digitize my chemical films, have been stable in use for many years.

That’s it for the coming years and I hope the GAS virus doesn’t ruin this plan ;).

Oliver

http://www.riwodot.de/wc/pages/ueber-uns.php
    http://shorturl.at/dlDFZ

Daniel Koretz
    Daniel Koretz
    Participant
    Re: GAS – Gear Aquisition Syndrom
    Reply #1 on: September 7, 2020 at 2:59 pm

I’m not a professional, so I have much less need for gear than some people. I find myself tempted nonetheless and find the technology interesting and fun to play with. But GAS can get very expensive. I try to discipline myself by asking a few questions:

— will this equipment let me do something I can’t do now?

–will this equipment let me do something either substantially more easily or substantially better?

–will this equipment improve the quality of my photographic output–in particular, prints?

In most cases, the answers these questions are “no”. Sometimes I give in anyway–life is short–but this helps keep the expenditures down.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.