Filter recommendation?

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Filter recommendation? Read 395 Times
  • Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Cameras, Lenses and Shooting Gear
    on: May 28, 2022 at 9:32 am

The world appears divided into two groups: those who keep 1A or similar filters on their lenses all the time to protect the front element, and those who don’t. It’s not a debate I want to enter: I’m in the former camp and will remain there, so anyone feeling motivated to answer the following question along the lines of Mr Punch’s 1845 Advice To Persons About To Marry (which was “DON’T”), please refrain.

What brand of neutral, inoffensive, protective filter would you suggest I apply to my brand-new, shiny Sony lenses?

Jeremy

Christopher Sanderson
    Christopher Sanderson
    Gold Member
    Re: Filter recommendation?
    Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022 at 2:08 pm

The lens cap 😊

when in a situation where the front element is at risk (rarely), I keep the cap on until ready to shoot…

David Good
    David Good
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: June 25, 2022 at 5:49 pm

I happen to straddle the fence between the two camps, filter on when outdoors (mostly), off when in the studio. I have used the Nikon Neutral Clear filters for many years on my lenses now with little to no impact on image quality. But I tend to walk about with the lens cap off.

Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Reply #3 on: June 26, 2022 at 12:22 pm

I bought a couple of UV filters from Urth. They’d had decent reviews. I’m content with them: they seem completely innocuous, which is what I wanted.

Jeremy

Eric Brody
    Eric Brody
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: June 26, 2022 at 12:27 pm

Historically, I never used “protective” filters except when in potentially wet or dirty conditions. I’ve read Roger Cicala on the subject. Now I use them; they just make me feel better about my lenses which have gotten more and more expensive over time.

I use filters from Breakthrough Photography in San Francisco, “protective,” neutral density, and polarizer, for some time. Early on, I did some test comparisons to see if I could see the difference and even shooting in high flare situations, I could not. Breakthrough filters are well made, easy to remove and put on and while expensive, certainly reasonable when compared to the cost of a lens or a lens repair. When I travel, I purchase trip insurance (especially these days) and consider it just a part of the cost of travel, like eating overpriced food in airports. I do not work for Breakthrough nor have they ever given me something for nothing.

There are other excellent brands, I’m sure. I’ve used B+W in the past and they are fine. I’ve not done comparisons so would not want to get into a dispute about which are the best. Like Roger, I have avoided the “cheap” brands.

I am also a lens shade “nut.” Lens shades also provide physical protection for my lenses and I almost never shoot without one. I have even gone up to strangers and politely suggested that they reverse their backward lens shades to both protect the lens and to decrease flare. Some people are eager to hear it, some not so much.

Good luck to you on your quest.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.