Field Mouse feeding on spilled grain

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Field Mouse feeding on spilled grain Read 415 Times
  • Daniel Smith
    Daniel Smith
    Participant
    Landscape & Nature Photography
    on: August 9, 2020 at 6:51 pm

© 2020 Daniel A Smith, Field mouse feeding on spilled grain

It started with some spilled grain at a bird feeder. More feed ended up on the ground than  was eaten in the feeder. Watched as some field mice would come in and clean up. Also ground squirrels as well as tree squirrels.

After watching a bit I set up a piece of wood so the grain would pile up a bit and give the small guys something to get them up off the ground and make it easier to photograph.

Already have perching sticks by the feeder and all by bushes so the birds have protection as they come in. Also helps with having good backgrounds for the photos.

Blind is an older Ford F150 SuperCrew parked so early morning light will be right on the animals. Dark cloth over the windows behind me so I’m not highlighted from behind. Then go out before sunrise and sit back with the lens on the window sill to get the small bird as they come for some food. A lot of berry bushes and a ton of wild plants for them to feed on in the area – my feeding is a supplemental source so they don’t use only it.

"A good still photograph, studied by an inquiring mind, frequently yields more information than a mile of moving images". Walter Cronkite, New York, June 1989

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Re: Field Mouse feeding on spilled grain
    Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020 at 4:33 pm

That’s a great setup, and a lovely image!

Mike.

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.