Excessive-Compulsive Shutterbugs: Is Photography Replacing Reality?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Excessive-Compulsive Shutterbugs: Is Photography Replacing Reality? Read 720 Times
  • Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    New Article Announcements & Discussions
    on: September 15, 2019 at 3:41 pm

Interesting discussion. We live in a beautiful area with a lot of tourists, and every time we head downtown I see people who seem to think the most important thing is not to see what’s here but to photograph themselves (and/or each other) standing in front of whatever it is they’re supposed to be looking at… As a photographer for a lot of years, I admit that I see my world from that perspective wherever I go – analyzing my world in terms of interesting objects, shapes, colours, light, etc. Jay Maisel has said that he never leaves his house without his camera, and, like many, I almost always have a cell phone in my pocket. On the other side of things, I’m also the curator for our family’s photo collection, going back to my parents, grandparents and beyond. Sadly the ‘metadata’ for many of those images is lost to history.

Still, six years ago a few minutes at the edge of the ocean taught me this lesson: https://www.wolfnowl.com/2013/01/learning-to-see-again/ Another example is here: http://cowbird.com/story/32979/

The last time we went to see the fireworks in the inner harbour I purposely left the tripod and the camera at home and sat with Marcia and watched the light show.

Mike.

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

Lance Lewin
    Lance Lewin
    Participant
    Re: Excessive-Compulsive Shutterbugs: Is Photography Replacing Reality?
    Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019 at 4:06 pm

Mike – the first video is so funny! I’m on the floor laughing! The girl trying to have a conversation with her friends at the table – too funny!

Recently, driving past a couple of bus stops (both for middle and high school) every student stood there….there head arched downward…each person

completely disconnected from the next – its like watching some old episode of the Twilight Zone!  And my grandchildren…don’t get me started!  🙂

I am happy you liked the piece.

Kind regards,

Lance

Lance A. Lewin

Christopher Sanderson
    Christopher Sanderson
    Gold Member
    Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019 at 6:36 pm

Oh no, I thought, another dyspeptic piece on the mobile invasion of the photographic homeland. How wrong I was. How refreshing to read. Thank you Lance!

Lance Lewin
    Lance Lewin
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019 at 7:02 am

Hi Chris – really happy the piece did not let you down – have a great day!

Lance A. Lewin

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.