Epson PictureMate

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Epson PictureMate Read 542 Times
  • Jean-Michel Komarnicki
    Jean-Michel Komarnicki
    Participant
    New Article Announcements & Discussions
    on: July 16, 2020 at 11:19 am

We too have an Epson PictureMate 400 – and a P800 and SC P6000. We (my wife -Helen- and I) purchased the PM400 just so Helen would not need to keep asking me to print images from her iPhone and taking me away from other projects. While this is not an issue, it still made sense to get the tiny printer; plus, we think that once people are allowed into our home we might get them to print some images from their smartphones. We keep telling everyone: “if you do not print it, it does not exist”.

We have yet to go through the original ink pack, so our experience is limited. The setup is as easy as Kevin wrote. We do not particularly like high gloss images, so we are using Inkpress Media Luster paper – it’s an OK paper for the hundreds of 4×6 prints I have made on Epson 2200, 2400 and P800, that are my ‘super-contact’ prints or prints made for cards, etc. The result from the PM400 on that paper is similar than an image printed on the glossy paper sample that came with the printer.

I printed the same image on the P800 (soft-proofed) and PM400. There are marked differences. There are no ICC profiles for the PM400. So, if accuracy, etc is needed, the PM400 is not the machine to use. But the results are pleasant, so, for the purpose it was designed fo it works just fine: you get a very pleasant looking print with zero effort. And, Epson claims a fairly long longevity for the prints. In the offset printing business, you often get the choice of ‘pleasant colours’ or ‘accurate colours’, for some jobs, ‘pleasant’ was all that a customer could afford and yet be happy enough with the results.

I am working on some projects that will include images I made since I first held a camera of my own – a Yashica J-35 that I still have. It is interesting to me to realize that, with some rare exceptions, I have printed images of every single frame ever shot from 1964 until I put my film cameras onto a shelf and closed down my darkroom, mostly in contacts sheets of course, but every image can be human-read. Since going ‘digital’, most of my images must be machine-read, except for this I selected and printed.

One amazing object that I was able to see was the Rosetta Stone at the British Museum in London. I wonder what kind of Rosetta Stone needs to be left for a civilization some 2000+ years from now to be able to figure out what digital messages we left. Not much hope for that!

Go Print!

Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel

Terry McDonagh
    Terry McDonagh
    Participant
    Re: Epson PictureMate
    Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020 at 7:11 am

trying to find one of these in Europe and it’s not even on the Epson site here.

is this only available in the USA ? anyone know?

Regards Terry

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020 at 12:22 pm

Terry, I’m not sure.  I presumed it was available everywhere.  Can you try searching some of the Big Box sites?  Please share the results.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Terry McDonagh
    Terry McDonagh
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020 at 10:53 am

Hi Kevin

They are on Amazon but unavailable, not even listed on the epson sites over here and I would buy one if it were possible. But shipping from usa is no good with tariffs and duty and vat etc.

Regards Terry

Tommy Weir
    Tommy Weir
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020 at 8:54 am

Yes, the PictureMate 400 is not available here in Ireland, neither is the P900, the P700 has been released in the UK at least but not the other new offerings.    Keenly awaiting the arrival of the P900 here…

Epson Europe seem to have different strategies around lines.  There’s a high-speed scanner the Epson FastFoto FF-680W which seems to do a great job of bulk scanning older prints (I have that issue too) only recently released on this side of the pond despite being available in the US for quite some time, I think it even went to a second model in the interim.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.