Epic Interview with Stephen Wilkes

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Epic Interview with Stephen Wilkes Read 598 Times
  • Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    New Article Announcements & Discussions
    on: August 25, 2020 at 4:11 pm

We are trying something new with the article we published today.  This is an epic interview and conversation with Stephen Wilks.  Jeff Schewe and I spend several hours talking about the amazing story and accomplishments behind Stephen Wilkes.  Stephen is one of the best-known photographers living today.  We explore his beginnings though some of his present day projects during the pandemic.  He may be best known for his Day To Night series.  We spend a good bit of time on this as well as a revolutionary print exhibit he did many years ago.  This is an article you will want to watch in chunks of time as it is a few hours long.  You won’t be disappointed as Stjephen is very engagingand a great storyteller.  Have fun.  Let us know what you think.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Rand Scott Adams
    Rand Scott Adams
    Silver Member
    Re: Epic Interview with Stephen Wilkes
    Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020 at 9:26 am

Hands down, the finest thing I’ve seen in a VERY LONG time.  Props to you, Jeff, and all involved.

Rand

Rand Scott Adams Rand47

Mike Broomfield
    Mike Broomfield
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020 at 3:01 pm

Yes this is a great set of interviews, props to you Kevin, to Jeff and of course Stephen for sharing his images and stories.  Very enjoyable.

John Sadowsky
    John Sadowsky
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020 at 9:47 pm

I read Jeff’s stuff and watched the first video.  Wow – truly great work!

I was a photographer in my high school days – 1970-74.  I had a Yashica SLR, 50 mm and a 135 mm lenses, and a darkroom under the stairs.  Got pretty damn good at winding then Tri-X film into the can for development.  But I am an engineer.  My devotion to my career deflected me away from photography.  That’s probably for the best because I’m much more a technician than an artist.  I had cameras for slide photography from the 80s and 90s.  I only really got back into photography circa 2000 with the advent of digital photography.  I thought hey, I can resurrect my love of photographic art with my career in all things digital.

Watching this video really spoke to me.  There is no way I could have followed Wikes’ career.  I just didn’t have the inspiration, or will, to get those shots back then,  The question that the likes of Wikes pose to all of us is .. what are today’s images that will live on in our collective memory?

JSS

Jeff Schewe
    Jeff Schewe
    Gold Member
    Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020 at 2:27 am

Thanks for the kind words fellows, it’s appreciated! But make sure you see all of the videos-even the one of Stephen and Jay Maisel go over the Day To Night book mockup…it’s a treasure to see those two guys give each other grief and props! I also have to really give credit to Stephen for putting together such a great presentation and fill the time with great stories and insights! Also kudos to Michael Durr for the great editing!

Stephen Sokolov
    Stephen Sokolov
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020 at 3:27 pm

This was a real treat.

I had the honor of meeting Stephen Wilkes when he spoke at a Jay Maisel workshop at the bank almost 10 years ago now. A pleasure then and a pleasure again.

Stephen Sokolov

Rand Scott Adams
    Rand Scott Adams
    Silver Member
    Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020 at 3:52 pm

Thanks for the kind words fellows, it’s appreciated! But make sure you see all of the videos-even the one of Stephen and Jay Maisel go over the Day To Night book mockup…it’s a treasure to see those two guys give each other grief and props! I also have to really give credit to Stephen for putting together such a great presentation and fill the time with great stories and insights! Also kudos to Michael Durr for the great editing!

Jeff,

Indeed…. watched them all twice now.  Most excellent.  I not only enjoyed Stephen Wilkes story/career/beautiful photography – but I also enjoyed hearing about the evolution of the printing technology, having “lived that” in parallel in my own small way.

Also the organization of the presentations / discussion was really wonderful and fun.  You did a really fine job with that.

Rand

Rand Scott Adams Rand47

Mark Kinsman
    Mark Kinsman
    Participant
    Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020 at 11:50 am

Great series of videos with some stunning work by Stephen. I bought the book after watching the video with Stephen and Jay discussing the book mockup. This book MUST be seen to appreciate the photographs. Outstanding. Its the first of my photography related books my wife has sat down with and viewed in great detail.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.