EOS lenses on SONY cameras – Autofocus speed?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Topic: EOS lenses on SONY cameras – Autofocus speed? Read 383 Times
  • Daniel Smith
    Daniel Smith
    Participant
    Cameras, Lenses and Shooting Gear
    on: April 21, 2021 at 10:01 am

Looking at big, fast Canon glass and wondering how well it Autofocuses on the SONY bodies.

400 f/2.8 and 600 f/4 lenses. Is the AF with the higher MP SONY bodies as good as with Canon bodies, or possibly quicker?

Then, quickly moving subjects like running rabbits, birds in flight and such. AF with these on the SONY able to keep up with them?

Looking at moving to a newer body or two. The 1Dx for wildlife and not sure for general and night sky images. A friend has chosen to move to SONY and it is working well for him, so has me thinking about it. I know adapters are made to use EOS lenses with them – but searching is not giving me the answers.

If it were just dollars and I actually had them would just go with a Nikon D850 and new glass – but unless I find someone who would do a straight trade 400 to 400 it won’t happen.

So, SONY is getting a look.

"A good still photograph, studied by an inquiring mind, frequently yields more information than a mile of moving images". Walter Cronkite, New York, June 1989

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Re: EOS lenses on SONY cameras – Autofocus speed?
    Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021 at 11:08 am

I did a lot of serious-looking at things a few years ago and made the jump to Sony.  I HAve had no regrets. I had Nikon, Canon, and Olympus systems.  Now I use Fuji for APS-C and love it.  Although the x-pro 3 didn’t impress me.  Article and video coming soon on that.  the XT-4 and XH1 are the cameras I use there with lots of great glass.  My y wife shoots mainly with the Fuji.

I went to Sony a7riv and A1 and the quality of the image, dynamic range, and AF features are really super good.

Of course, this is my opinion and others may differ.  Mirrorless has so much to offer these days.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.