Envisioning the Image

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Envisioning the Image Read 629 Times
  • Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    New Article Announcements & Discussions
    on: April 14, 2020 at 2:39 pm

I must admit that while I know photographers who do extensive research on a location before visiting – so as not to  miss the shot – my photography tends to be much more spontaneous. As an amateur photographer my photography is primarily for my own creative endeavours and so I am afforded that privilege but for the most part I am a making lemonade kind of person.

I don’t know how many photography books I own… 3-4 dozen, probably, but my longstanding favourite has always been “Photography and the Art of Seeing” by Freeman Patterson (and not just because he’s Canadian). He sets aside all of the (inherently valuable) technical aspects of photography and focuses (so to speak) on learning how to see and how to envision what you see as a photograph. It’s the one book I recommend most, especially to beginner photographers. Marcia is a self-avowed cell phone photographer who used to be able to claim she didn’t know an  f/stop from a door stop. She said Patterson’s book changed her world.

The Photographer’s Eye & The Photographer’s Mind by Michael Freeman and several of David duChemin’s books are also good in that way, but Patterson’s is still my favourite.

Mike.

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

Louis Foubare
    Louis Foubare
    Silver Member
    Re: Envisioning the Image
    Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020 at 1:57 pm

Mike

Thanks for that input since I did not know that book was available.

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Re: Envisioning the Image
    Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020 at 8:53 pm

We’re all here for each other. ?

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.