Double-Sided Printing

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Double-Sided Printing Read 238 Times
  • William Walker
    William Walker
    Participant
    General
    on: August 13, 2023 at 5:24 am

Posted in “General” because it may not apply to only Canon printers…. 🙂

A local artist asked me to try and make some “vintage-looking” cards for her, using uncoated “Fabriano”(?)paper…. On a Canon iPF8400 printer.

I was very pleased and impressed with the quality of the print…as a media setting I simply used “Plain Paper” and the profile for Hahnemühle Museum Etching, with a slight tweak.

However, lining the paper up so that the back aligned perfectly with the already printed front had me beat!

The 220gsm paper had deckled edges and initially I thought that might be causing the side-to-side misalignment, then, on my second attempt, it did not line up length-wise.

When I loaded the paper for the “front” print it gave the paper size as 705.8mm x 890.5mm and when I turned it over for the “back” print it read 706.2 x 885.8mm. That 4.7mm is about what the mis-alignment was.

My question is this: is what I am trying to do possible or is it just a fluke if you get it right?

Thanks,

William.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Re: Double-Sided Printing
    Reply #1 on: August 13, 2023 at 2:03 pm

I print double-sided quite often.  I have done so with Epson Printers.  I have a Canon Pro1000 and 4000.  So, first what Canon printer are you using and what are your printing from computer and software?

I usually use a Red River paper duo (double sided) to make my two sided prints.  Usually Calendars and greeting cards.

If I am printing to epson Printers I use Imageprint or Epson Print layout. No matter what set all margins the same, page sizes the same.  When printing to the CAnon pro 1000 I use Image print and have not had any issues double sided printing.

Without knowing all the facts it sounds like you may have margins set wrong, paper size, etc.  A bit more detail will help/

I’d be happy to try double siding on my Canon printer this week.  They are at the studio so I cna’t do it from home.

Let me know.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

William Walker
    William Walker
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: August 15, 2023 at 9:10 am

Hi Kevin,

I am using a Canon iPF8400, printing from the Canon Print Plugin out of Photoshop.

I made about thirty double-sided A4 prints yesterday and they lined up pretty well. Here is what I found:

Initially, every time I loaded a piece of paper the printer indicated the paper size, never as “A4” – but always a bit over or under. I then entered that size into the print plugin and things never quite lined up. As you can see I was making “postcards”….

Eventually I ignored the size the printer said and stuck to A4 and things improved a lot from then on….

Obviously the margin of error on an A4 size paper is far lower than on an A0, and with the A0 I also changed the paper size as per what the printer said! (I should have not changed the paper size!)

We live and learn! 🙂

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: August 15, 2023 at 1:09 pm

Glad you got it figured out.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.