Double login

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Double login Read 17767 Times
  • Jim Kasson
    Jim Kasson
    Silver Member
    About This Site
    on: May 17, 2020 at 10:41 am

For about a week, the site has been exhibiting a new behavior.

I log in on one computer, checking “remember me.”
    I browse a while, and don’t log out
    I go to another computer, where I had been logged in before, and click “my account”.
    The system shows me as logged out.
    I log back in.
    (so far this is the old behavior; what follows is new)
    The system still shows me as logged out.
    I log in again.
    The system shows me as logged in.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Jim Kasson.
    Christopher Sanderson
    Christopher Sanderson
    Gold Member
    Re: Double login
    Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020 at 10:47 am

The system disallows simultaneous  logins  from different machines.

I believe what is happening is that if a member is already logged in on machine A, a subsequent machine B login triggers a logout of A and then requires a second login on B to establish credentials. 

Jim Kasson
    Jim Kasson
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020 at 1:40 pm

The system disallows simultaneous logins from different machines.

I believe what is happening is that if a member is already logged in on machine A, a subsequent machine B login triggers a logout of A and then requires a second login on B to establish credentials.

Makes sense at one level. But is that desirable behavior? I think not, and it’s different from all the other fora I frequent.

By the way, all the computers I’m talking about share an IP address through NAT. So it appears that something is digging down to tell that the login is coming from a different computer. Maybe a cookie?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Jim Kasson.
    Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020 at 2:43 pm

This problem is old; it seemed to have gone away a few weeks ago but has returned with a vengeance; it happens every time I log in. Surely there must be a fix? I can understand being unable to be logged in on two computers simultaneously (although other sites do permit it), but the double login is weird.

Jeremy

Christopher Sanderson
    Christopher Sanderson
    Gold Member
    Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020 at 3:02 pm

I’ll pass this on to those that can really help ))

A recent server change may have something to do with it…

Rand Scott Adams
    Rand Scott Adams
    Silver Member
    Reply #5 on: June 9, 2020 at 10:01 am

Hi, All . . .

I’m experiencing the same behavior.  Sometimes when I log-in on the home page and then go to the forums, I have to log-in again.  Very frustrating.  Also, if I receive an email notifying me of an update to a thread I’m interested in, I have to log in … then navigate to the thread…. even more frustrating. If this can be fixed (so that we may log in and be remembered) it should be.  I think this behavior may have a chilling effect on folk becoming “regulars” on the forums.  I want to see PhotoPXL grow, and user-unfriendliness may be having a negative effect.

Also, while I’m at it here, when using the personal messaging utility and using “quote” marks, the utility inserts a “/“ in the text string that is unwanted. Not a big deal, other than it bugs me!  LOL

Best,
    Rand

Rand Scott Adams Rand47

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #6 on: June 9, 2020 at 10:15 am

I’ll pass this onto our developers.  Question, were you signed into another computer or device at the same time?  Also, what compueter system OS etc.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Rand Scott Adams
    Rand Scott Adams
    Silver Member
    Reply #7 on: June 9, 2020 at 11:53 pm

Kevin,

For me, the answer is “no” as far as I know.  When on my iPad or iPhone, my computer is off.  And when on either the phone or pad, I don’t have PhotoPXL “up” on both at the same time.

Rand

Rand Scott Adams Rand47

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Reply #8 on: June 10, 2020 at 1:25 am

Also, while I’m at it here, when using the personal messaging utility and using “quote” marks, the utility inserts a “/“ in the text string that is unwanted. Not a big deal, other than it bugs me!

I believe this is a WP issue. I have the same problem with comments on our blog, whether on my ‘omputer or throught the WP app on my phone.

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #9 on: June 10, 2020 at 9:56 am

Thank you RAnd, we will look into it.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Jim Kasson
    Jim Kasson
    Silver Member
    Reply #10 on: June 10, 2020 at 10:51 am

Also, while I’m at it here, when using the personal messaging utility and using “quote” marks, the utility inserts a “/“ in the text string that is unwanted. Not a big deal, other than it bugs me!

I believe this is a WP issue. I have the same problem with comments on our blog, whether on my ‘omputer or throught the WP app on my phone.

I’m not seeing any such issue on my WP site. I’m running WP 5.4.1.

https://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/picking-a-camera-is-like-picking-a-dog/#comments

Jean-Michel Komarnicki
    Jean-Michel Komarnicki
    Participant
    Reply #11 on: July 27, 2020 at 11:49 am

Hi,

Wether on my iPad or iMac, I usually have to relogin  constantly, sometime just to login and sometimes when going from home to forum or articles,  I click the “remember me” button but it has no effect. It is a bit annoying but still a first world problem. A fix would be nice.

Jean-Michel

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.