Dell Calibration Help

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Dell Calibration Help Read 225 Times
  • George Stark
    George Stark
    Participant
    Computers & Displays
    on: May 21, 2022 at 6:29 pm

I’ve spent the last couple of long days… migrating from a late 2015 iMac to the Mac Studio…. I’ve been using iMacs since there were iMacs so adapting to the system of a computer and a separate monitor is a whole new adventure…

Due to budget constraints laid down by the CFO in my house hold  no Ben Q  or Eizo purchases were to be made. I ended up with a Dell UltraSharp 27 4K USB-C Hub Monitor – U2723QE.

After tackling many migration issues it came time to calibrate the new monitor for my photo and printing workflow. FYI It took me several hours and 20 or more reboots to get the I1profiler up and running…. On the Mac Studio with Monterey be sure to download I1profiler version 3.5 or later… It seems its still not programed to run with M1 mac native.. had to have Roseta installed to get things going … On to my other problems  ha…

The first time I1profiler started up it recognizes the Dell and for Display type it said “White LED”…. which may be fine….. I want the most accurate calibration and wanted to find out how true experts would calibrate this monitor……. Color Gamut as per Dell for this monitor is 100% Rec 709, 100% sRGB, 98% DCI-P3  Honestly I really have no expert understanding of those stats other than sRGB…….. The monitor color space is set to  sRGB I assume this is the best starting place for calibration?…..What I don’t really understand in the I1profiler set up are the various display types listed….1. White LED  2. RGB LED 3. Wide gamut CCFL…. It says the software auto detects type but I’m not sure it is in this case…. because it always starts up where you left it in the previous session. It does not seem to auto detect the same display type at each startup…

I calibrated with each one of those settings  and each one is different for sure….. I just want to be sure of which one I should use?  Should I just print a test target and try judging by eye which one is closest?

I have profiled my 5K iMac for years with this software and it always recognized display type for the 5K screen and an older Cinema Display I used for a second screen….In this case I have doubts of the best starting point… Dell is LED for sure but a lot of different technology intertwined with their LEDs and hope somebody can tell me the best display setting to use to obtain the most accurate calibration for this display type…As always.. appreciate the guidance

Cheers

George

PS… Apologize for issues with editing and reposting of this.

George Stark
    George Stark
    Participant
    Re: Dell Calibration Help
    Reply #1 on: May 23, 2022 at 3:11 am

Update:

After much experimentation with I1Profiler and calibrating the monitor with most of the display types listed. It seems that calibrating with “White LED” display type produces a very accurate profile for this monitor according to the i1Profiler validation and the very close match of screen and a calibration test print.

Cheers

George

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.