Dakota Street Photo 1

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Dakota Street Photo 1 Read 575 Times
  • Daniel Smith
    Daniel Smith
    Participant
    Black & White
    on: January 10, 2021 at 2:44 pm

Chilly and breezy with a lot of fog. Not cold, temperature in the 20’s – above the donut.©2021 Daniel A Smith, Dakota Street Photo 1

"A good still photograph, studied by an inquiring mind, frequently yields more information than a mile of moving images". Walter Cronkite, New York, June 1989

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Re: Dakota Street Photo 1
    Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021 at 8:41 pm

Thought I had replies to this already, but it must have gotten eaten somewhere along the way. There’s a lot to see in this image, although it’s easy to miss in a quick glance.

Mike.

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021 at 12:09 pm

Cool image.  A little darker than I would have made it.  If possible I would have tried to lighten up the human and is possible show a bit of face.  There is halo (white) around the pole and human.  It could be oversharpening.  If you are using C1 you could try halo suppression.  The image has a lot to say.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Daniel Koretz
    Daniel Koretz
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021 at 4:51 pm

An interesting image. Nicely framed as well. Like Kevin, I noticed the halos, particularly on the (viewer’s) left side of the person.

Did you deliberately add a lot of grain, or was this shot at a very high ISO and exposed to the left?

Daniel Smith
    Daniel Smith
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021 at 12:44 pm

On the light. It was dark & dim and I printed it that way so the headlights in the background showed well. Looked at it both brighter and darker – and this is the one I like. Shows more of the mood of the morning.

Silver Efex Pro conversion for B&W and grain but it does give the Halo effects. Am working more with Photoshop to get the look I want without that coming up. Silver Efex Pro seems to do it way too often.

Would love to get up there and photograph this type again this morning but our blowing/drifting snow (Finally – we are getting some, we need it) has the drive and road drifted high enough that even the big 4×4 pickup with studded snows won’t make it. Later today, or tomorrow the road will be plowed and I can get out. On a farm in North Dakota. I do the 100 yards to the road but the County does the road. Our Farm to Market roads get less attention that the paved roads a few miles away. So, we wait a bit.

"A good still photograph, studied by an inquiring mind, frequently yields more information than a mile of moving images". Walter Cronkite, New York, June 1989

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.