Creating Artistic Photographs Part 3

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Creating Artistic Photographs Part 3 Read 997 Times
  • John Sadowsky
    John Sadowsky
    Participant
    New Article Announcements & Discussions
    on: November 17, 2019 at 3:29 pm

“Hyperrealism is to photography what manipulated photographs are to a painting.”  Well said!

I am an O’Keeffe fan.  The O’Keefe museum in Santa Fe is a must see.  Growing up in the Chicago area, I was drawn to her work at the Art Institute.  I always found it interesting that she was married to Alfred Stieglitz, a photographer.  There had to be some really interesting interactions there between the brush artist and the photographer.

JSS

Alain Briot
    Alain Briot
    Silver Member
    Re: Creating Artistic Photographs Part 3
    Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019 at 4:21 pm

Thank you John.  I am pleased you enjoyed this essay.  When I started photography I was inspired by the work of photographers but as my work evolves my inspiration is more and more rooted in the work of painters.

Author of Mastering Landscape Photography and 3 other books.
    http://www.beautiful-landscape.com
    [email protected]

John Sadowsky
    John Sadowsky
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019 at 8:26 pm

Fascinating – I’ve heard that from a number of great photographers – that they learned from the brush artists.  We just moved from Mesa AZ to Maryland (to be close to grandchildren) – wish I’d connected with you when we were in AZ!  I used to do a lot of trips to southern UT.  What an enchanted land!

JSS

Alain Briot
    Alain Briot
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019 at 11:37 am

There’s a lot in common between photography and painting, both being two dimmentional visual mediums and both relying on the same compositional principles.  However for me the relationship is deeper than that because I was first trained as a painter having attended the Beaux Arts in Paris first and studied photography, at the American Center in Paris, second.  With film the relationship between painting and photography was tedious because most of what I could do with painting could not be done with photography.  Film captures were unforgiving and un-malleable.  This changed when digital came about, making the relationship between photography and painting much closer.  Today I can do most of what I did with painting using digital captures and processing.  Of course the facture of a photograph will never be that of a painting but that’s the beauty of it. If I wanted to create paintings I would paint!  What I want is create photographs that I can shape to my heart desire and for that digital capture and processing are what I was waiting for.

Author of Mastering Landscape Photography and 3 other books.
    http://www.beautiful-landscape.com
    [email protected]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.