Creating Artistic Photographs
 – Film to Digital Paradigm Shift Part 2

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Creating Artistic Photographs
 – Film to Digital Paradigm Shift Part 2 Read 1058 Times
  • Terry Gipson
    Terry Gipson
    Silver Member
    New Article Announcements & Discussions
    on: May 24, 2021 at 7:45 pm

I read your article with great interest as one who grew up in the time of film photography but who now works solely within a digital platform in all its permutations.

I found your insights subtle but very significant, as I have experienced those hindrances along my journey to becoming an artist. I am sure there are others who can forget their previous experiences and influences and move on with no further thought. Unfortunately I am still plagued by those early influences

Perhaps for those with no film era influences, this would be a ho-hum article. Yet for the rest of us I found it sensitive to the transition from film photography thinking and the expansiveness digital photography offers.

The majority of film photographers I have met are young people who (by my appreciation of their age) did not grow up in film-era thinking. For them film photography seems a niche expression of their art.

Thank you for your thoughts and sharing of your experience!

Terry Colorado USA [email protected] www.terrygipsonphotography.com

• This topic was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Terry Gipson.
    Alain Briot
    Alain Briot
    Silver Member
    Re: Creating Artistic Photographs
 – Film to Digital Paradigm Shift Part 2
    Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021 at 1:52 am

Thank you Terry. I would be interested to hear the opinion of photographers ‘with no film era influences.’ My experience with teaching writing is that new practitioners are just as resentful of the paradigm shift as older practitioners, albeitedly for different reasons. I believe this is true with photography. It is tempting to assume that photographers who started with digital and never used film are free of all limitations. In reality few are. The temptation to follow the previous paradigm is powerful both for previous and for new practitioners, for the reasons stated in my two essays.

Author of Mastering Landscape Photography and 3 other books.
    http://www.beautiful-landscape.com
    [email protected]

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Alain Briot.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.