Common Mistakes in Photography

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Common Mistakes in Photography Read 637 Times
  • Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Topical debate
    on: April 3, 2020 at 5:20 pm

Photographer Tim Grey offered this webinar live this morning, but it’s up on YouTube now. It’s very low key, but as I listened to it I found myself nodding a lot – been there, done that. So, whether you’re an experienced photographer or a beginner or somewhere in between, this might be worth an hour of your time. And feel free to add your own comments on mistakes you’ve made, things you’ve learned along the way. In the film days, the one thing I kicked myself for the most was forgetting to load film, and realizing it after the fact. Fortunately, nowadays I can tell my camera not to make and image w/o a card inserted. Probably the most expensive one was the day I was set up on the St. Lawrence River at low tide. It was fairly windy so I had the tripod legs set wide. Not to be outdone, the wind changed directions and blew the entire assembly over onto a rock. Snapped the tripod collar on the lens and bashed in the corner of the camera body. Oops.

Mike.

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

John Sadowsky
    John Sadowsky
    Participant
    Re: Common Mistakes in Photography
    Reply #1 on: April 9, 2020 at 8:15 pm

Thanks, Mike.  I watched the video (although I did hit the advance button a lot).  When I shoot I have ideas about what I want to capture.  Nine times out of ten, the concept I had when I was shooting didn’t play out.  When they do, it’s great.  Sometimes the concept I had just didn’t work.  Other times, I just blew it – made shooting mistakes.  What was nice about this video was seeing a master beyond my skills talking about his mistakes and failed concepts … so it is not just me!  🙂

JSS

Daniel Smith
    Daniel Smith
    Participant
    Re: Common Mistakes in Photography
    Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020 at 9:36 am

Interesting that so few seem to read now. YouTube and such with videos are how a lot get their information.

I’m getting old and still prefer reading to watching. Part may be due to hearing loss which makes it hard to discriminate sounds when one does not speak clearly. Also, playing music while people are talking really screws up hearing what is said. Whatever it is I find reading an actual article is much easier to deal with. There is a place for videos but information in print is easier to deal with for many things.

"A good still photograph, studied by an inquiring mind, frequently yields more information than a mile of moving images". Walter Cronkite, New York, June 1989

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.