Closer to home

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Closer to home Read 523 Times
  • Bryan Nelson
    Bryan Nelson
    Participant
    Landscape & Nature Photography
    on: December 14, 2020 at 11:31 am

We are still under some restrictions and I have been attempting to photograph close to home.  I’m fortunate to have some woods near by as well as some trails within 10 km. We had some early snow but it has melted. Hoping for a white Christmas.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Re: Closer to home
    Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020 at 1:42 pm

Nice images and it’s tough being under restriction.  I am in the middle of writing an article on finding things to photograph close to home.  My story will be about a hardware store.  Coming soon.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

John Sadowsky
    John Sadowsky
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020 at 8:37 pm

I’ve been doing a lot of local shots.  Here is one from my deck.

JSS

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020 at 10:33 pm

Nice work, Bryan. I recently posted a link here about an interview between Ed Burtynsky and Walter Borchenko. Ed was using focus stacking on landscape images somewhat similar to yours (in his neighbourhood). How feasible this is for you depends on the hardware/software you have but it might be something to play with.

Mike.

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

Bryan Nelson
    Bryan Nelson
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020 at 11:13 am

Nice images and it’s tough being under restriction.  I am in the middle of writing an article on finding things to photograph close to home.  My story will be about a hardware store.  Coming soon.

I’ve also realized in the last few years that I need to focus on photography where ever I am. Although I’ve done some travel in my life, the trips are not photography trips usually work of family trips. I’m not able to do expensive dedicated photography trips but try to take time even if it is a few hours or half a day.  Better to be present than to be always dream of trips to Antarctica, Nepal, Patagonia etc. but it’s hard to do. Lucky there are some national and provincial parks within a days drive and maybe once a year or every other year, I can take a short 5 day camping trip for photography.

Looking forward to the article.

Bryan Nelson
    Bryan Nelson
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: December 15, 2020 at 1:14 pm

Nice work, Bryan. I recently posted a link here about an interview between Ed Burtynsky and Walter Borchenko. Ed was using focus stacking on landscape images somewhat similar to yours (in his neighbourhood). How feasible this is for you depends on the hardware/software you have but it might be something to play with.

Mike.

After seeing the images on my monitor at least one could have been improved with focus stacking. Since it’s close to home I may go back and try it. It will have to be a manual exercise in the field and in photoshop.  You also gave me the idea to play with multi-stacked different images for creative affect.

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Reply #6 on: December 18, 2020 at 1:22 am

Intriguing!

Mike

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC

Bryan Nelson
    Bryan Nelson
    Participant
    Reply #7 on: December 22, 2020 at 1:53 pm

Intriguing!

Mike

Thanks for the link to the Ed Burtynsky and Walter Borchenko interview. I finally had time to watch it yesterday.  I went back out a re-photographed the one image and experimented with focus stacking. Definitely helps with this image to keep the trunks in focus and the backgound out of focus

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Reply #8 on: December 22, 2020 at 9:23 pm

Glad it worked out for you. 🙂

Mike.

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.