Close up and tilt

Tagged: ,

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Close up and tilt Read 952 Times
  • Erik Kaffehr
    Erik Kaffehr
    Silver Member
    Landscape & Nature Technique
    on: May 7, 2020 at 1:13 pm

Hi,

I was shooting some flowers today. Usually I focus on just one flower or a group of a few flowers. But this time I wanted to show a lot of flowers and have all of them in reasonable focus.

00001_20200507-_DSC6978

This was shot on my mirrorless full frame camera with a Contax 35-135/3.4-4.5 Sonnar zoom. The lens was connected to the camera with a HCam Master TS II adapter that allows both tilt and shift.

In this case, tilt was used. Tilting the lens allows for tilting the focal plane, a technique known as ‘The Scheimpflug Principle’. The Scheimpflug Principle is not a panacea for extending the focal plane, as everything above and below that focal plane will be out of focus.

Tilt and shift lenses have been with us for a long time. But mirrorless cameras allow for designs with very short mount to sensor distance, allowing to use T&S techniques with a lot of old lenses.

I can use my Canon EF-mount lenses on the HCam Master TS, but the Canon lenses don’t have manual aperture control. That is the reason I have a couple of Contax RTS era Zeiss zooms for Scheimpflug. The lenses won’t allow for any significant shift, but will work fine for tilts.

Best regards
    Erik

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Re: Close up and tilt
    Reply #1 on: May 7, 2020 at 6:35 pm

Well executed image.  Working with T/s is always a challenge and this is a great example of what can be accomplished.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: May 8, 2020 at 4:34 pm

What Kevin said, me too.

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

Eric Brody
    Eric Brody
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: May 9, 2020 at 2:03 pm

Really nice image. I use a Nikon 85mm F/2.8 PC-E tilt shift on my Sony A7RIV with a Commlite adapter, mostly for close-up work but also in the landscape when I want to do it with a single exposure rather than stacking. Using a tilt-shift lens brings me back to my view camera days. I remember how cool it was to just do a small tilt and get so much focus in the landscape.

Daniel Smith
    Daniel Smith
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020 at 7:51 pm

All that gear and extra screens and such a small viewing area when shooting. I still prefer a 5×7/8×10 for the full control it gives. A ground glass big enough to see. No electronics to worry about and Chromes or negatives big enough for easy viewing or printing. I know – not digital. But the View Cameras are built for the technical perfection they allow.

"A good still photograph, studied by an inquiring mind, frequently yields more information than a mile of moving images". Walter Cronkite, New York, June 1989

Erik Kaffehr
    Erik Kaffehr
    Silver Member
    Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020 at 2:47 am

This was shot in my P45+ days on the Hasselblad Flexbody.

Erik Kaffehr
    Erik Kaffehr
    Silver Member
    Reply #6 on: October 11, 2020 at 2:51 am

There is a small story behind this one. I tried to shoot this fern with focus blending before and failed. A month later I was back with my T&S gear and it was still there…

Erik Kaffehr
    Erik Kaffehr
    Silver Member
    Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020 at 4:03 am

At Sella Pass, Dolomites.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.