Climate Change Protest

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Climate Change Protest Read 968 Times
  • Andrew Molitor
    Andrew Molitor
    Silver Member
    Street
    on: August 15, 2019 at 1:10 pm

Greta Thunberg is in the news again, on the cover of GQ and riding an Open 60 across the Atlantic on a carbon-free voyage to the UN. The climate change protests by schoolchildren around the world, sparked by her activism, reached Bellingham on schedule, and I took some pictures. Here is one.

On-Her-Phone

If a street photograph is intended to capture something being itself as intensely as possible, this is one of my better efforts along those lines. More exactly, it captures pretty well my personal take on the event, fairly intensely. It might or might not make sense to you.

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Re: Climate Change Protest
    Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019 at 2:09 pm

Well done. But not all of us gray hairs tune such things out. ?

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

Andrew Molitor
    Andrew Molitor
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019 at 2:24 pm

The grey-hair in the foreground is actually (probably) pretty tuned in 😉

It was very much a throng of kids, with a coating of old hippies around the outer edges supporting, but not interfering.

Daniel Smith
    Daniel Smith
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019 at 6:58 pm

A whole bunch of them wearing plastics and petrol products and synthetic materials.

Interesting how many are “haves” in society. They have the time to spend on this stuff rather than trying to make sure they will have food to live to see the next sunrise.

"A good still photograph, studied by an inquiring mind, frequently yields more information than a mile of moving images". Walter Cronkite, New York, June 1989

Andrew Molitor
    Andrew Molitor
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019 at 8:24 pm

The speaker in this photo is indeed a child of privilege, and as near as I was able to determine, one of the “populat kids” so despised by the rank&file at high schools. And yet, she was part of a leadership cadre that included the, well, the less well off, the less popular. I was informed by what I feel was a reliable witness that the leaders of this rally had their hearts in the right spot.

I do not expect much from high school students. This was well beyond my low expectations.

While it is true that almost nobody in the USA, even the poorest, really has to worry about making it alive to the next day, I think this argues that we here have a greater obligation.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.