Cityscape

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Cityscape Read 376 Times
  • Russ Lewis
    Russ Lewis
    Silver Member
    Architecture
    on: May 25, 2021 at 3:47 pm

Cityscape

Cityscape

Frank Loehner
    Frank Loehner
    Participant
    Re: Cityscape
    Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021 at 3:30 pm

Hi Russ, I quite like this shot. However I think it would improve with a bit of perspective correction and maybe a bit more colour saturation? I think you could try to bring out the contrast between the green roof, red(ish) wall and the beige brickwork more. That would make it more abstract. Together with the stainless steel chimneys at the front this should work nicely…

What do you think?

Frank

Russ Lewis
    Russ Lewis
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021 at 3:57 pm

Hi Frank, I very much appreciate your critique. Yes, I could change the perspective a bit, but that would require distorting the left side of the picture since the verticals are correct except for that one area distorted a bit by the angle at which I made the shot. I’m not much on changing contrast, though I do it with river pictures, since what you get is rarely what you saw because of the attempt by the camera to produce something that averages out to middle gray.

I’m not much into abstracts. Sometimes the scene itself is abstract, and I’m satisfied with that. But this particular picture is anything but abstract. I shoot what’s there, and I don’t try to change reality. At heart I’m a street photographer who sometimes can’t get to a place where street photography is possible. I very much believe in Cartier-Bresson’s assessment of the situation: “Photographing is nothing. Looking is everything.”

Frank Loehner
    Frank Loehner
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021 at 4:11 pm

Hi Russ,

nevermind. Everyone sees things differently!

Your street photography is incredible btw!

Cheers!

Frank

Russ Lewis
    Russ Lewis
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021 at 7:46 pm

Thanks, Frank. I hope I can start doing some street again before long. Masks put an end to it, but things are opening up now.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #5 on: May 29, 2021 at 6:53 am

Always nice to see something different and to break out of the norm. I think Frank made some good points.  I just like to see these kinds of images.  In Chicago, I always enjoyed not only shooting the street but the architecture.  Kind of a two-for place to do photography.   It’s cool to see the way the light and lines of buildings can form a worthy image to shoot.  More, please.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Russ Lewis
    Russ Lewis
    Silver Member
    Reply #6 on: May 29, 2021 at 10:23 am

Here’s another one, Kevin. Colorado Springs, 2004 (Nikon D-100, 200mm lens)

Colorado-Springs-2004

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.