cewe photobooks (UK)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Topic: cewe photobooks (UK) Read 520 Times
  • Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Papers & Media
    on: May 28, 2021 at 1:10 pm

Has anyone had any experience of this firm (cewe.co.uk)? Good or bad.

Jeremy

Erik Brammer
    Erik Brammer
    Participant
    Re: cewe photobooks (UK)
    Reply #1 on: June 3, 2022 at 9:02 am

Hi Jeremy,

it’s been a while but I just came across this. Cewe are the market leader in Germany and run a subsidiary with a production facility in the UK, in Warwick close to Birmingham to be precise. Like pretty much any photo finisher (Photobox, Snapfish, Blurb etc.), if you choose digital printing (rather than photographic paper based photobooks), they are printing photo books using HP Indigo digital press, running CMYK in AM screening, mostly on coated gloss or coated matt papers. So no gamut expansion or raster smoothing with light inks. No fine art papers. But again, this holds true for pretty much an photo service you order from online. The one thing that stands out is what’s called True Matte Paper. This has the feel almost like an uncoated, very smooth fine art paper, but it is not cotton based or anything. It’s only 160 gsm but has a very nice bulk and therefore doesn’t feel thin. Their digitally printed photobooks have traditional perfect binding (i.e. glue binding) while their photographic paper based photobooks are layflat bound – well, they have to, since photographic paper is only single-sided.

The good thing about Cewe is that usually their quality control is pretty strict.

Still, the quality that any such photobooks deliver cannot be compared with fine art prints, I would say.

Hope this helps. If you have any further questions, let me know.

Best regards,

Erik

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.