catching the light

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Topic: catching the light Read 492 Times
  • Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Landscape & Nature Photography
    on: January 27, 2021 at 3:41 pm

Thoughts?

pxl-3

Jeremy

Daniel Koretz
    Daniel Koretz
    Participant
    Re: catching the light
    Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021 at 6:51 pm

A very interesting image. However, I think it would be better if you brought out some of the texture, color, and lines in the ground  behind. I tried this:

1. Masking the water and iceberg, I brought up the shadoes on the land mass modestly.

2. Using the same mask, I increased vibrance, saturation, and contrast on the land mass. I did the contrast adjustment with a curve with a normal blend mode in RGB space, so it incresed saturation as well. I kept these fairly modest also.

To my mind, it looks a better.

Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021 at 2:34 pm

Daniel, that’s an interesting comment, in part because what you’ve suggested comes pretty close to reversing the steps I took to get from the raw image to what I have posted here. This was the -2 stop shot of a 3-shot bracket, and it appealed to me more than the others because of the separation between background and berg. It’s possible that my attempts to increase that separation went a little too far, I concede.

This isn’t the first time I’ve bracketed in that way and found the most under-exposed image to be the one that appealed. Curious.

Jeremy

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021 at 7:44 pm

That’s a great berg and I love the light of it, but this image – to me – has too much not quite negative space. I keep wondering why there isn’t more or less detail there, and all of that wondering keeps me away from the berg. If it was my image I’d probably crop away most of the background.

Mike.

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021 at 3:02 pm

Mike, here’s another I took a minute or two later, with a tighter frame, processed in a similar way. To my mind, the loss of the lines in the background detracts.

pxl-2-1

Jeremy

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021 at 2:10 pm

That was an amazing location and so defines Greenland with Ice and Big Rocky cliffs.  Nice image for sure.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Reply #6 on: January 31, 2021 at 8:57 pm

Jeremy: I replied to your comment/re-crop but it got lost somewhere. When I saw your first image I was thinking more along the lines of a 16×9 crop to parallel the shape of the berg. Everyone gets to have an opinion… 🙂

Mike.

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

Rand Scott Adams
    Rand Scott Adams
    Silver Member
    Reply #7 on: February 13, 2021 at 10:39 am

Jeremy,

I love this.  Just the right amount of detail in the background to provide a sense of both “place and contrast” and a sense of mystery.  I prefer the less tight image for this reason.

I’ll bet it makes a beautiful print!

Rand

Rand Scott Adams Rand47

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.