Capturing water drops

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Capturing water drops Read 1393 Times
  • Don Libby
    Don Libby
    Participant
    Landscape & Nature Technique
    on: July 28, 2019 at 1:07 pm

This could go equally well in any of at least 3-topics, gear, technique, medium format and lighting. 

I’ve been capturing water drops for a little over a year (our blog has much more information).  The “normal” setup for water drops is using a 35mm system; since I’m anything but “normal” I capture them using the Fujifilm GFX50s.

The normal setup consists of the camera, the GF120 with and without the Fuji macro extensions and up to 3-flashes. 

The process is rather simple, a dark room (we’ve been doing these in our garage), tripod, camera, macro lens and flash(s). The camera is set on bulb, high ISO and lens manual focused on where you think the drop will hit. Trigger the water drop which triggers the flash. Easy on paper not so in practice.
    Here are some samples…

Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    http://www.ironcreekphotographyblog.com

• This topic was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Don Libby.
    • This topic was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Don Libby.
    Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Re: Capturing water drops
    Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019 at 2:45 pm

Damn, those are nice images.  Don, would you consider writing an article for this site?  Please post some of your images in the community gallery.  It would be a great place to share such nice images.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019 at 2:46 pm

I particularly like the purple one. What do you use to sense the drop and trigger the flash?

Jeremy

Don Libby
    Don Libby
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019 at 4:39 pm

I particularly like the purple one. What do you use to sense the drop and trigger the flash?

Jeremy

Jeremy, I’m currently using a MIOPS trigger to trigger the drops and flash. You almost need 3-hands. The shutter needs to be opened before the water drops which trigger the flash. You close the shutter after the flash goes off.

Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography

Don Libby
    Don Libby
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019 at 4:46 pm

Damn, those are nice images. Don, would you consider writing an article for this site? Please post some of your images in the community gallery. It would be a great place to share such nice images.

Thanks Kevin I’ll see if I can put something together for here. In the meantime I’d suggest visiting our blog for more information.

Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography

Lance Lewin
    Lance Lewin
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: January 9, 2020 at 5:01 pm

Very interesting and special photography – your sample photos are really unique.  Just this week in one of the Photographic Society of America critique groups, one of our members posted his first attempt at this type of photography. My comment to the photographer was…have you tried shooting from above, though I see in your example photos, and also the group member told me, equipment hangs above the point of exposure, so, is this even possible? Have you tried this perspective?

Thanks, Don.

Lance A. Lewin

Don Libby
    Don Libby
    Participant
    Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020 at 7:54 pm

I’ve thought about shooting from above however since all the water drop equipment hangs directly above it just isn’t possible. I could get a partial view however the end result wouldn’t be the same.

I am thinking of shooting from below just to see if I can do it. I’ll everyone posted on the results…

Don

Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography

Lance Lewin
    Lance Lewin
    Participant
    Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020 at 7:39 am

Hey, Don.

Below would be just as interesting – look forward to seeing and discussing results.

Lance

Lance A. Lewin

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020 at 9:53 am

Time for an article.  I’d love to share your experiences here.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.