Capture One Pro 20

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Capture One Pro 20 Read 1249 Times
  • John Sadowsky
    John Sadowsky
    Participant
    New Article Announcements & Discussions
    on: December 13, 2019 at 11:57 am

Kevin – I (and I suspect some other readers) are evaluating the switch from Lr to C1.  Your article didn’t mention styles.  In addition to the $300 license, there are the + 3 style packs special for $368 (discounted from $506) and +6 style packs for $417 (discounted from $693).  The +3 style bundle gives Cinematic, Film, and B&W style packs.  +6 styles add Matte, Seasonal and Spectrum style packs.

Too bad they don’t let you choose style packs for the +3  option.

Those look like substantial discounts – are they worth it?  C1 comes with a number of built-in styles – do the additional packs add significant value?

JSS

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Re: Capture One Pro 20
    Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019 at 12:16 am

Frankly, I don’t use styles.  I do my own simply by saving the settings I like.  I suppose for many people styles works as good starting points.  I have been given many styles to test and they do cool things but for the kind of work, I do I am trying to get realistic colors, not some made up funky color.  But, that is me.

I also find that if a photographer wants a look they will make their own look and save it as a style.  Making your own styles is a fun part of C1.  Most people won’t use but a few styles for their work trying to maintain a consistency.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

John Sadowsky
    John Sadowsky
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019 at 12:39 am

Thanks, Kevin.  My heart wants to agree – I want to do my own renderings.

JSS

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019 at 12:25 pm

I have (far too) many presets for Lr, mostly gathered in the early days, and occasionally I’ll scroll through them to get ideas, but in my opinion over reliance on presets make all of your images look the same. Like Kevin, I prefer to do my own thing. ?

Playing with C1 – 20. Not a lot of overly dramatic improvements but it’s good software.

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

John Sadowsky
    John Sadowsky
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019 at 12:33 pm

Thanks – Mike.  I made the purchase without the extra style packages.

It like HDR software that gives you all of those (mostly ugly IMHO) canned “tone mapping” options.  I like the Lr approach to HDR – merge without tone mapping, and then adjust the merged file with the usual tools.

JSS

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: December 18, 2019 at 7:05 pm

Having said that, there is a company (Picture Instruments) that makes software that will approximate (as best it can) Lr presets and create styles for C1: https://picture-instruments.com/products/index.php?id=17

Mike.

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.