Canson BP Two

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Canson BP Two Read 854 Times
  • Elliot Puritz
    Elliot Puritz
    Silver Member
    Papers & Media
    on: September 24, 2020 at 10:56 pm

Interesting review by the estimable and valued Mark Segal.  As always, thanks Mark!

I noted with interest that ( according to Mark ) Canson now lists the presence of small amounts of OBAs in this newest iteration of a well known paper. Given the emerging evidence that even small amounts of OBAs can cause color shifts in prints, are any on this site concerned enough about such agents to eschew the use of Canson BP Two or the comparable Red River paper?  Indeed,  there are excellent Baryta alternatives free of OBAs from other companies. Are these papers preferable for prints intended for longevity and permanence? Why print on papers that will to some extent self destruct?

Am I overstating the issue of permanence and OBAs?

Daniel Koretz
    Daniel Koretz
    Participant
    Re: Canson BP Two
    Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020 at 12:52 pm

This is not new. Canson also listed “very low” OBAs for the original, now discontinued Baryta Photographique when I started using it several years ago.

There is a good recent discussion of OBAs in another thread on this site, https://photopxl.com/forums/topic/obas/. My takeaway from that discussion is that if one really wants archival prints, it’s best to stay away from them. A pity, as with only a few exceptions, papers without OBAs are warmer-toned, which I don’t personally like. However, the discussion in the thread I referenced was the last straw for me, and I am gradually (as I use up stock) moving to OBA-free papers for much of my serious printing.

Daniel Koretz
    Daniel Koretz
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020 at 5:28 pm

PS might get more responses if moved to the papers forum

Elliot Puritz
    Elliot Puritz
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020 at 7:43 pm

Thanks Dan.  I realized the error last PM…but then I noticed the discussion of OBAs that you referenced and wondered if there was really any reason to discuss the OBA issue once again.

I completely agree that if image permanence is a key issue that printing on papers without OBAs is reasonable and perhaps necessary.

Regarding warm tones and the lack of OBAs:  When printing images I have noted that in many instances printing on matte papers fits the sense of the image better than the same image printed on luster papers. Moreover, I am becoming less taken with the somewhat over dramatic surface of textured matte papers which can adversely effect subtle nuances in a given print. Choosing a 100% cotton matte paper does not always guarantee a cooler paper.  It will take some time and effort to explore the various “smooth” or lightly textured  matte papers….will keep you informed.

Elliot

Daniel Koretz
    Daniel Koretz
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020 at 9:02 pm

Elliot,

If you don’t want a lot of texture–Canson Rag Photographique is a very cold white, quite smooth, OBA free mat paper. I don’t print much on mat papers, but that’s my standard when I do. It’s a gorgeous paper, in my opinion. However, for the sorts of stuff I do, I usually want the greater detail and greater dynamic range of a baryta.

Dan

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.