Canon XPS problem

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Canon XPS problem Read 1097 Times
  • Daniel Koretz
    Daniel Koretz
    Participant
    Canon Printers
    on: October 24, 2020 at 9:29 am

Has anyone experienced new problems with the XPS drivers for Canon printers? These are the 16-bit substitutes for the standard 8-bit drivers that are labeled with the printer name.

I had never used anything but the XPS driver with my Prograf 1000 until last week. Last week, I printed something and found that the colors were way off in a manner that suggested a partial head clog (browns showing as pink). Oddly enough, a nozzle check showed no problem. I did two regular cleanings and one deep cleaning anyway, and that didn’t solve the problem. Changing papers and ICC profile didn’t have any impact.

I spent a long time on the phone with a competent and patient Canon tech, methodically checking one possibility after another. It took a long time (and paper), as each possible cause required printing a highest-quality print. We eventually discovered that switching to the 8-bit driver, which I had never used before, seemed to solve the problem. Reinstalling the XPS driver didn’t help, so the problem wasn’t a corrupted driver.

The problem is easily spotted if you look at blues in the outback photo test print. IMG_20201019_0006

The tech said that he had not encountered this particular problem but that driver problems often arise when other software is installed or updated. I had recently automatically updated both Windows 1o and Adobe CC (I print from lightroom), and he thought either of those could be the culprit.

I sent all of this to Canon CPS by e-mail suggesting that they test this on another computer and printer to determine whether it is specific to mine or a general problem that requires a driver revision, but I got a form reply saying that they don’t provide printer support by email, and I haven’t yet called back.

It would be helpful to know whether anyone else has had this problem.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Re: Canon XPS problem
    Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020 at 1:34 pm

I just did a bunch of printing on my 1000 but used it through Imageprint.  No issues spotted.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Daniel Koretz
    Daniel Koretz
    Participant
    Re: Canon XPS problem
    Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020 at 4:54 pm

Kevin, thanks very much. Did you use the XPS (16-bit) driver? I have no familiarity with Imageprint, but some software allows you to choose between the XPS and standard 8-bit driver–assuming that you installed the XPS driver, which isn’t the default–while some other software doesn’t give you the choice and uses only the standard driver. I have no problems at all using the standard driver. What abruptly stopped working correctly is the XPS driver, which I had always used both with the 1000 and with the 100 I had before that.

Canon is now involved in this and has an engineer working on it. I confirmed that it’s not specific to my computer (I installed the printer on another computer to check), and I’ve sent them one of the test prints.

I’ve always used the XPS driver on the assumption that 16-bit is better, but I actually have no information about how often or how much the choice matters. I suspect that the XPS driver isn’t used often. One of the techs I spoke with said that he rarely talks to users who know what it is.

If I get an answer, I’ll post it.

Dan

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.