Can we have an RSS feed please?

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Can we have an RSS feed please? Read 707 Times
  • Peter Gallagher
    Peter Gallagher
    Participant
    About This Site
    on: September 12, 2019 at 7:37 pm

After signing up to the site yesterday (when I first learned about it) I received an email today about a new article. I wasn’t aware I had signed up for emails and when I checked my account preferences I could not see any way to opt-in or opt-out. So I used the email list unsubscribe to unsubscribe from all emails.

I’m sorry: I don’t want emails: for practical reasons and on principle. They’re under someone else’s control. Stuff that gets dumped on me unless I adjust the ‘options’ in my account (that are never really as fine-tuned as they seem).

But I do want to keep abreast of the site via my RSS reader (NetNewsWire on my Mac). Remember RSS?… One of those neat user-tools that we had when users owned and controlled their own part of ‘Web.

RSS is still around but getting less support from the sort of sites that would rather send you emails.

As far as I can tell the “Follow Us” item in the footer of each page on this site has no link behind it at all at present.

I’m pretty certain Kevin, Chris etc intend users on this site to have all the options they want to stay up with things. So would they please consider creating and exposing a link to an RSS feed?

Thank you.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Peter Gallagher. Reason: typo
    Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Re: Can we have an RSS feed please?
    Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019 at 1:03 pm

Peter,

There is an RRS feed icon that is orange to the left of the YouTube icon in the top dark blue bar.  The code you need for your RSS feed is there.

Also, we will be making a modification to the sign-up process where you can opt-out of email notification yet still be a member.  Give us a few days to get that implemented.

Thanks for the feedback, hope that helps.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Peter Gallagher
    Peter Gallagher
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019 at 6:32 pm

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for your polite reply and for offering RSS and thank-you, too, for offering to fix the email preferences.

Perhaps I could explain why I didn’t try the really obvious, orange RSS button before shooting off my message. The reason is that my ad-blocker in both Safari for iOS and Safari for MacOS had hidden all the ‘social’ buttons. There were none visible in the top blue bar and none below the words “Follow us” in the footer.

My fault, of course and I apologise for wasting your time. Now that I’ve seen them I feel like a bit of an idiot: I should have thought of that possibility first.

Still, you might also like to consider putting some small text-links e.g. in the footer that won’t be stymied by ad-blockers. I understand that you’re hoping to avoid subscriptions to the site by relying on advertisements and, of course I don’t use an ad-blocker because of PhotoPXL but because of a lot of crappy intrusive behaviour by even major sites that I visit like the NY Times (where I also pay a subscription).

My case is probably not unusual, however. I suspect lots of your readers block stuff by default and that few of them tune their ad-blockers by site. So maybe it’s something to consider in your site design and strategy.  Personally, I’d be happy to pay an annual sub for e.g. forum and video privileges on a site like PhotoPXL.

Good wishes, Peter

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019 at 9:13 pm

Peter: I use Feedly as my RSS feeder, and I just fed the https://photopxl.com/ URL into it and it did the rest on its own. YMMV!

Mike.

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.