Can someone suggest a good mouse for lightroom and photoshop please?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Can someone suggest a good mouse for lightroom and photoshop please? Read 1407 Times
  • Morris Taub
    Morris Taub
    Participant
    Adobe Lightroom & Adobe Camera Raw
    on: October 23, 2020 at 3:00 pm

Wasn’t sure where to put this question. Hope this is ok cause i’m using the mouse for lightroom and photoshop, but mostly lightroom.

I’ve been using a logitech g403 and was ok happy with it. Since upgrading to macOS Catalina the logitech software doesn’t work as well. The logitech g hub software comes up every time i wake computer and asks to control everything. It no longer indicates battery level charge. I may be wrong but it doesn’t feel like a good fit with Catalina.

Most of my edits are in lightroom C these days. Sporadic forays into photoshop. I’m doing no real tight editing with outlines or anything. Years ago I used and loved wacom tablets. These days I don’t need the fine tuning of a pen.

I like the quick accurate optical g403. Time to upgrade? Maybe i’m overthinking this. Would an apple magic mouse 2 make me happy? I do like the form of the g403.

thanks

M

Christopher Sanderson
    Christopher Sanderson
    Gold Member
    Re: Can someone suggest a good mouse for lightroom and photoshop please?
    Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020 at 5:27 pm

It looks a bit naff, but the Razer Death Adder is really good. I have used the wired one for a few years.

I was never happy with any of Apple’s ‘mice’… my hands are XL

Morris Taub
    Morris Taub
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020 at 12:08 am

thanks Christopher, I will check this out.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020 at 8:06 am

I use the Logitech MX. https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/articles/360023459853. and also the MX anywhere when I am on the road.  I have customized the buttons for use with Capture One and LR.  I don’t have the control panel issue you mention.  Once I have set the buttons and remember them the tough part for me they work great.  I’m in North Carolina trying to get fall colors and editing back in my room with these mice wirks great.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020 at 2:03 pm

Like Kevin, I use the Logitech Performance MX and I’m perfectly happy with it. I’ve had no problems under Catalina. Are you sure you have the latest update to the Logitech software? There was one quite recently which saved me from having to unplug and replace the little widget that sites in the USB socket each time I restarted the iMac. I’d suggest not using the built-in updater: go to Logitech’s site and download the installer from there.

Jeremy

Morris Taub
    Morris Taub
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020 at 6:44 am

Like Kevin, I use the Logitech Performance MX and I’m perfectly happy with it. I’ve had no problems under Catalina. Are you sure you have the latest update to the Logitech software? There was one quite recently which saved me from having to unplug and replace the little widget that sites in the USB socket each time I restarted the iMac. I’d suggest not using the built-in updater: go to Logitech’s site and download the installer from there.

Jeremy

I tried again. Their g hub never connects with my g403. Download today is 2020.8.5950.

So I wrote logitech, created a ticket, and asked them to tell me what is compatible.

Everything worked fine with the original software i had when i bought this old mouse. And it worked fine with macOS mojave. I think this is the only problem i have encountered after the catalina update.

Weird stuff. Sorry to bother the forum with this. If/when logitech sends me a solution I’ll post here.

Until this I was happy with the mouse. It’s sensitive enough. Fast enough. Fits my hand well.

thanks

M

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Morris Taub.
    Peter Gallagher
    Peter Gallagher
    Participant
    Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020 at 3:46 am

I prefer never to use a mouse for local adjustment brushes. A tablet/pen is so much more accurate and faster with (usually) controllable stroke variation.

But I don’t want to hold a pen in my dominant hand and then drop it to pick up the mouse in the same hand for, say, interface control. This is tiresome, at best.

Of course using both a mouse and a pen means some ambidexterity.

My own solution for some years has been to use the magnificent Kensington Expert Track Ball under my left hand with the pen in my right (dominant) hand: https://www.kensington.com/en-au/p/products/control/trackballs/expert-mouse-wireless-trackball/

It’s a large, well balanced ball that fits nicely in the fingers and permits uncannily accurate control. Best of all, it’s stationary. No flinging the thing around the desktop. So it saves not only on effort but also on space. Recommended.

Morris Taub
    Morris Taub
    Participant
    Reply #7 on: October 30, 2020 at 3:16 am

I prefer never to use a mouse for local adjustment brushes. A tablet/pen is so much more accurate and faster with (usually) controllable stroke variation.

But I don’t want to hold a pen in my dominant hand and then drop it to pick up the mouse in the same hand for, say, interface control. This is tiresome, at best.

Of course using both a mouse and a pen means some ambidexterity.

My own solution for some years has been to use the magnificent Kensington Expert Track Ball under my left hand with the pen in my right (dominant) hand: https://www.kensington.com/en-au/p/products/control/trackballs/expert-mouse-wireless-trackball/

It’s a large, well balanced ball that fits nicely in the fingers and permits uncannily accurate control. Best of all, it’s stationary. No flinging the thing around the desktop. So it saves not only on effort but also on space. Recommended.

Thanks for this Peter…brought back memories of my studio apartment, early 1990s, Chelsea in Manhattan, New York. Had a mac llci and a kensington track ball which I really liked. Yes, the track ball existed way back. Maybe it’s time to revisit that experience with an up to date model.

I finally figured out why I couldn’t get my g403 to hook up with logitech software, no help from Logitech. Had to go into Privacy/Accessibility in system preferences and ok logitech g hub and Logi Options daemon. I’ve never had to do that before. Tried. Now I have access, the g403 works with the software. User error I guess.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Morris Taub.
    Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Reply #8 on: October 30, 2020 at 11:40 am

The tech support acronym is PEBKAC, I believe. Or PICNIC.

Jeremy

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Reply #9 on: October 30, 2020 at 7:15 pm

I second Peter’s suggestion of a stylus, but my mouse is a Logitech M720. Works well for me. I can program it separately for up to three devices (USB/bluetooth) and (although I haven’t tried) apparently it’s possible to ‘flick’ documents from one machine to another.

NB: On the top of the mouse there’s a small button behind the scroll wheel. It’s an on/off switch, but if you click the button it converts the scroll wheel from moving x lines/ click to being free scrolling. The first time that happened it drove me nuts!

Mike.

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.