Can a lens be repaired for sharpness

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Can a lens be repaired for sharpness Read 409 Times
  • Michael Kopel
    Michael Kopel
    Participant
    Cameras, Lenses and Shooting Gear
    on: June 8, 2022 at 8:11 am

Hello,

I was testing my Sony 55mm comparing it to a Sony 24-105 on an A7R4. Everything says the 55mm should be sharper but it is not. I have run several tests at different depths/distances using auto focus and manual focus but the results are always the same. I was thinking of sending it in for a repair but to be honest, I am not certain it was ever sharp. It was my first lens and I did not know enough about photography and equipment to think about these things.

My question is can a lens be repaired for sharpness.

Thank you,

Michael

Jim Kasson
    Jim Kasson
    Silver Member
    Re: Can a lens be repaired for sharpness
    Reply #1 on: March 24, 2023 at 9:28 pm

If lack of sharpness is because of the design of the lens, no. If lack of sharpness is due to improper construction, yes, sometimes.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: March 25, 2023 at 2:22 pm

Maybe you could post some images. The 24-105mm is a surprisingly good lens and used by a lot of Sony shooters. I have both the 24-70 GM and the 24-105. I had done some testes a year or so ago and it was hard to tell them apart.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Jim Kasson
    Jim Kasson
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: March 25, 2023 at 9:42 pm

Maybe you could post some images. The 24-105mm is a surprisingly good lens and used by a lot of Sony shooters. I have both the 24-70 GM and the 24-105. I had done some testes a year or so ago and it was hard to tell them apart.

Vignetting is quite different between those lenses. If you turn off the raw developer vignetting correction you’ll see what I mean.

Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023 at 12:15 pm

The 24-105mm is a surprisingly good lens and used by a lot of Sony shooters.

Me, for one. I like it a lot and my copy (at least) is very sharp.

Jeremy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.