Archive for Technical Articles

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Archive for Technical Articles Read 921 Times
  • Rand Scott Adams
    Rand Scott Adams
    Silver Member
    New Article Announcements & Discussions
    on: September 6, 2019 at 9:00 pm

Hi Kevin, Chris, et al . . .

First, I was very impressed by the clarity and expertise of Wayne Fox’s article and instructional video on the Orton effect.  Really excellent.  And, if I may gloat a bit, so much more relevant to the real world of the art of photography than – shall we say – a more “zen” approach found elsewhere?   Sorry, couldn’t help myself.

This fine article makes me think that PhotoPXL’s web site needs a dedicated place for articles of a “technical / instructional” nature.  I’m not sure what this would look like, but I sense that there are lots of articles of a “timely nature” on places, trips, featuring photographers’ work, etc.  And I sense that the need to find and refer to these would be, by the nature of the content, not needing a true “indexed archive.”

On the other hand, Mark Segal’s paper reviews, and articles like Wayne’s have real long term “return to” value and it would be great if there was an “index to technical articles” or some such thing, to mark them as “different in nature” from what is rapidly (and wonderfully – by the way) a significant amount of content on PhotoPXL of all kinds.

Best,

Rand

Rand Scott Adams Rand47

Vartkes Peltekoglu
    Vartkes Peltekoglu
    Participant
    Re: Archive for Technical Articles
    Reply #1 on: September 8, 2019 at 10:44 pm

Yes, I think this is an important feature. I also suggested to Kevin that each registered reader should be able to ‘bookmark’ articles that they would like to return to. As it is articles will come and go and be forgotten!

The Armenian

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019 at 12:50 pm

All good suggestions.  Some are on our list already for future development.  We want to see how things play out and then work with our web guys to come up with something that works well.  For now, maybe we will just be sure to use the right tags in articles and then you can find articles by tags. I’m not sure how bookmarking would work.  If I find articles I want to come back to use I use a program (site) called Pocket.

We have a team meeting at the end of the month and will certainly take into consideration these ideas.  Any other ideas are always welcome.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Robert Peterson
    Robert Peterson
    Gold Member
    Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019 at 3:10 pm

We have a team meeting at the end of the month and will certainly take into consideration these ideas. Any other ideas are always welcome.

More than most other sites, members and readers here understand keyword hierarchies. I suggest you consider organizing article keywords in a hierarchy, with a hierarchy-based browser where clicking on any entry displays the number of entries and a list of titles.  Think of this as an extension of the “Categories” list. And perhaps a Search could return a link to an appropriate place in the hierarchy.

Top level keywords might include “Technical Articles”, “Review Articles”, “Trip Report Articles”, and “Article Authors”.  The next level inside “Review Articles” might include “Lenses”, “Cameras”, “Workshops”, and “Exhibitions.”

This probably requires a fair amount of design and implementation effort. As the site grows, I believe the ease of locating information would be worth the effort and starting now while the site is relatively small is a lot easier than doing this a few years from now when the site contains hundreds of articles.

-Bob

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019 at 1:45 pm

This probably requires a fair amount of design and implementation effort. As the site grows, I believe the ease of locating information would be worth the effort and starting now while the site is relatively small is a lot easier than doing this a few years from now when the site contains hundreds of articles.

Sounds suspiciously like DAM to me… Articles, not images. 🙂

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.