Ackerly, Texas

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Ackerly, Texas Read 371 Times
  • Russ Lewis
    Russ Lewis
    Silver Member
    Wabi Sabi
    on: March 28, 2021 at 10:28 am

Ackerly, Texas, 2006Ackerly-Texas-2006

Daniel Koretz
    Daniel Koretz
    Participant
    Re: Ackerly, Texas
    Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021 at 8:09 pm

A nice shot, but oversharpened. It was the crunchy foliage that I first noticed, but look at the halos on the power lines, particularly the diagonal leading to the top left corner.

Russ Lewis
    Russ Lewis
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021 at 7:27 am

You’re right, Daniel, and I don’t know why it’s oversharpened. Here’s the original, right out of the camera, with no sharpening at all. It came from a Nikon D2x, several years ago, and I suspect I was shooting .jpeg at the time. It’s still oversharpened.

Daniel Koretz
    Daniel Koretz
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021 at 9:19 am

If you were shooting JPEG, that could explain it. I don’t know what the JPEG recipes for Nikons are called, but a few of the basic details of the corresponding settings for Canon cameras, called “picture styles”, can be found on the web. As you’d expect, they include changes to color balance, saturation, sharpening, etc., all necessarily applied with no regard whatever for the particular scene. So I’d be willing to wager that your SOOC image is highly sharpened–only by the camera, not by you. This seems also to be the case with a few other JPEGs you posted in the forum.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.