48 mega pixels

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Topic: 48 mega pixels Read 360 Times
  • Barbara Groom
    Barbara Groom
    Participant
    Cameras, Lenses and Shooting Gear
    on: September 20, 2023 at 6:28 pm

My Pro Max 14 has 48mp. Is it really worth it to upgrade just for the increased telephoto lens?

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Re: 48 mega pixels
    Reply #1 on: September 20, 2023 at 10:56 pm

My Pro Max 14 has 48mp. Is it really worth it to upgrade just for the increased telephoto lens?

That’s a choice you have to decide.  There is a lot more than just the longer lens.  There is 48mp raw and HEIC as well as shooting portrait mode anytime a person is seen in frame.  This allows you to go in and do selective focus and depth of field.  The video has a LOG format now and the USB C allows you to shoot tethered to Capture One and other apps in the near future.  For me the answer is yes it is worth the upgrade.  But, I’m on the plan where I can upgrade every year and the price per month changes little.  Based on what Apple is saying the number of upgrades and new purchases has pushed back delivery to late November and December.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Jonathan Cross
    Jonathan Cross
    Participant
    Re: 48 mega pixels
    Reply #2 on: December 6, 2023 at 5:49 am

A recent boat trip down the Nile in Egypt has caused me to start thinking about a possible major equipment change.  I have an iPhone 12pro and Fuji X mirrorless kit.  I took the iPhone and an X-E4 with the 18-55 and 55-200 lenses.  There were several times when I used the iPhone set to RAW because I did not have time to go back to the cabin to get the Fuji and/or I needed to grab a fleeting moment and had the wrong lens on the Fuji.

For producing a photobook, 12Mp is fine, but I also like to print some images at A3+ (19″ x 13″).  I post-process in LR and used super resolution to upscale iPhone images to 48MP.  The results with some additional tweaks in LR seem pleasing and people who have seen the prints alongside images taken with the Fuji kit, also processed in LR, are having difficulty telling the difference.

I am tempted to go on the next trip with just the iPhone and the X-E4 with the 55-200 lens. Keeping the 55-200 on the body means I can react more quickly without having to think if I need to change the lens.  I do have an X-T4 as well so could have a body for each lens, but I do not want to have to cart both around.  For portability, the iPhone and one body and lens would be much better for me.  I am also trialling using super resolution on images taken with the Fuji and the 18-55 or a 35mm f2, where I need to crop.  Yes, I know about the depth of field issue, but one can do things in LR or PS using subject or background selection.

Obviously this would be for travel photography.   I now use a tripod infrequently, as higher iso is getting better and LR’s denoise works well for me.  I did take a monopod on a wildlife trip in the late summer, but only used that when in a hide to photograph pine martins or occasionally with a 100-400 lens.  I rarely do contemplative photography with long set-ups and/or long exposures, though I do take images knowing beforehand what I want to do.  If I do spend time on a particular subject, then I take a series of images from different angles and/or distances or zoom, and do not use a tripod.

Am I the only one going through this thought process or is it a reflection of changing times?

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.