The Epson SC-P900 Printer Review

Viewing 12 posts - 25 through 36 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Topic: The Epson SC-P900 Printer Review Read 9290 Times
  • Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Participant
    The Epson SC-P900 Printer Review
    on: December 15, 2020 at 10:09 am

Tommy, hi, I’m not even convinced that you rural base matters much any longer. Files can be uploaded to servers for retrieval and printing in remote locations and they can send you the prints carefully packaged to avoid damage in transit. Heck, we can get books of our photos made at Blurb straight from Lightroom at the press of a button on our computer displays. We can send film to India for scanning and all the media and digital files returned to us reliably. This was all true before the pandemic, and if anything, the pandemic has revealed just how much business can be done from our home computers. It will be interesting to observe how much commercial space will be converted to residential in the coming years. And yes, what you say about the quality and the control over quality we can achieve these days is truly amazing, to the point that real tangible improvements of print quality happen in small increments rather than sea-changes from one generation of machinery to the next. However, if we look back through the history of the medium, at its major technological turning points, photographers thought in similar terms living through the transition from glass plates to film, from boxy cameras to the Leica in 1914, and from monochrome film to colour in the 1930s. The digital revolution is yet another major turning point that I believe has been the most profound of all in expanding the medium’s technical depth, quality, flexibility and democratization.

Mark D Segal Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8, SilverFast HDR, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop". Please check the PhotoPXL Store for availability.

Terry Gipson
    Terry Gipson
    Participant
    Re: The Epson SC-P900 Printer Review
    Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020 at 10:25 pm

Mark,

Your work and detailed discussion of this printer is of a quality I have not seen elsewhere.

Absolutely magnificent work on your part! I am grateful for your efforts on our behalf. Thank you!

I am currently struggling with the idea of moving from an Epson 7990 with its printhead problems to either another manufacturer’s 24 inch printer or moving down to a 17″ printer. Your efforts have been instrumental in my decision-making process.

Thanks again!

Terry

Terry
    Colorado USA
    [email protected]
    www.terrygipsonphotography.com

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020 at 11:44 pm

You are welcome Terry. Glad you are finding it useful.

Mark

Mark D Segal Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8, SilverFast HDR, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop". Please check the PhotoPXL Store for availability.

Louis Foubare
    Louis Foubare
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020 at 3:39 pm

Mark

Super job as usual. Congrats.

I skimmed your article once and will devour it the next time, but what surprised me is that Epson Legacy Platine will print at 5700+ dpi. Does that only apply to Epson Legacy paper profiles?  Perhaps a stupid question, but the best I currently see on my P800 is 2880 dpi, but I am not using Epson Legacy papers. Thanks.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020 at 3:45 pm

Hi Louis, thanks, much appreciated.

That 5760dpi setting is available to all the Photo paper group and the Fine Art papers group, so not at all confined to Epson Legacy papers.

Darrell Eifert
    Darrell Eifert
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020 at 7:46 pm

Exceptionally thorough review – many thanks.  I currently own the P800 and am generally happy with the prints, except when the dreaded “pizza wheel” marks appear and require a do-over, which usually succeeds by changing various paper settings.  I am however becoming more interested in alternative printing processes such as platinum / palladium, which means creating a pristine inkjet negative on film.  A quick internet search turns up many reports that the P800 leaves ‘pinhole’ marks on transparency film, which cannot be eradicated no matter what the paper settings.   In your time with the P900, did you ever see these marks on a print?

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Participant
    Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020 at 8:52 pm

No.

Per Johannessen
    Per Johannessen
    Participant
    Reply #7 on: December 19, 2020 at 11:03 am

Wow, thanks! This is not a review. It is an in depth analysis of the P900 and inks. Not sure if even Epson knows all this. I just bought the P900, have not opened the box yet, am completely new to printing. So, I have a ton to learn, if not more… I mainly use DXO PL, NIK, ON1. I also have LR6.

Some questions, if I may.

“maximum print length of 44 feet, versus 10 feet for the SC-P900”.

https://epson.com/For-Work/Printers/Large-Format/SureColor-P900-17-Inch-Photo-Printer/p/C11CH37201.

“Maximum Printable Area: 17″ x 129″. But Epson US also says: Max. cut-sheet size 17″ x 22″ . Epson Europe says A2+. A2+ is not a standard size, but is most often considered to be 17″ x 25”. A2+ papers facilitate prints from full format sensors, 2 x 3, without wasting a lot of paper. 42cm x 63cm with tiny borders. I have tried to get Epson US to understand that the P900 is an A2+ printer, but they refuse. B&H, as you refer to, don’t get this either. Why is it not possible to print longer than 10’ or 129″? Is there a limit on the length / height of the paper that can be front or rear (top) fed?

Redriverpaper understand the purpose of A2+ papers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxfle8rVIyo&t=7

http://www.redrivercatalog.com/browse/17×25-photo-paper-for-inkjet-printers.html
    http://www.epson.eu/products/printers/large-format-printers/surecolor-sc-p900?productfinder=p900#specifications.

Roll holder. Can you front-load papers with the Roll holder installed?

«With “Quality Options” selected in the Dropdown, you can turn off High Speed, turn off Finest Detail, and move the slider to the right-most position providing 5760 DPI resolution (Figure 12a). This would provide the highest quality print for Epson Legacy Fibre paper.». What is the difference between Finest Detail and Highest Quality? 5760 DPI would provide both, or not? Care to elaborate?

High speed is in some cases better than normal speed. Interesting.

Your book, «Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8, SilverFast HDR, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop», is however not available at SilverFast. I have a bunch of slides I need to scan…

If you have any suggestions for a newcomer to printing, please feel free to provide a link or two.

Thanks!

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Participant
    Reply #8 on: December 19, 2020 at 11:33 am

Will respond, there was a text problem.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by Mark D Segal.
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by Mark D Segal.
    Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Participant
    Reply #9 on: December 19, 2020 at 11:42 am

My replies within your text:

Wow, thanks! This is not a review. It is an in depth analysis of the P900 and inks. Not sure if even Epson knows all this. I just bought the P900, have not opened the box yet, am completely new to printing. So, I have a ton to learn, if not more… I mainly use DXO PL, NIK, ON1. I also have LR6. You are welcome, and yes Epson knows all this.

Some questions, if I may.

“maximum print length of 44 feet, versus 10 feet for the SC-P900”. 10 feet for the P700. 44 feet for the P900.

https://epson.com/For-Work/Printers/Large-Format/SureColor-P900-17-Inch-Photo-Printer/p/C11CH37201.

“Maximum Printable Area: 17″ x 129″. But Epson US also says: Max. cut-sheet size 17″ x 22″ . Epson Europe says A2+. A2+ is not a standard size, but is most often considered to be 17″ x 25”. A2+ papers facilitate prints from full format sensors, 2 x 3, without wasting a lot of paper. 42cm x 63cm with tiny borders. I have tried to get Epson US to understand that the P900 is an A2+ printer, but they refuse. B&H, as you refer to, don’t get this either. Why is it not possible to print longer than 10’ or 129″? Is there a limit on the length / height of the paper that can be front or rear (top) fed? Not sure. I reommend you experiment and see what actually works.

Redriverpaper understand the purpose of A2+ papers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxfle8rVIyo&t=7

http://www.redrivercatalog.com/browse/17×25-photo-paper-for-inkjet-printers.html
    http://www.epson.eu/products/printers/large-format-printers/surecolor-sc-p900?productfinder=p900#specifications.

Roll holder. Can you front-load papers with the Roll holder installed? Yes.

«With “Quality Options” selected in the Dropdown, you can turn off High Speed, turn off Finest Detail, and move the slider to the right-most position providing 5760 DPI resolution (Figure 12a). This would provide the highest quality print for Epson Legacy Fibre paper.». What is the difference between Finest Detail and Highest Quality? 5760 DPI would provide both, or not? Care to elaborate? Finest DCetail provides slightly better rendition of fine line graphics and small type.

High speed is in some cases better than normal speed. Interesting.

Your book, «Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8, SilverFast HDR, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop», is however not available at SilverFast. I have a bunch of slides I need to scan… First I hear of it. I checked and you are correct. Please send me an email through this forum with your email address and we will make an arrangement. I shall also have to develop an alternative portal for the book, because regardless of SilverFast 9 being released, this book will remain useful to many people.

If you have any suggestions for a newcomer to printing, please feel free to provide a link or two. Lots of material on the Epson Print Academy (YouTube) . Also Jeff Schewe’s book The Digital Print – and to prepare for printing, his book The Digital Negative. All highly recommended.

Thanks!

Per Johannessen
    Per Johannessen
    Participant
    Reply #10 on: December 20, 2020 at 7:06 pm

Thanks Mark D S for your reply! 44 feet prints should be enough, to start with… 😀

Terry Gipson
    Terry Gipson
    Participant
    Reply #11 on: March 23, 2021 at 2:19 pm

Mark,

I have been printing the last few days and cannot get the bottom margin to stay as set. Any cell size greater than 12″ results in the image bleeding off the top. Any ideas? This is happening in both LR and PS. I have the paper settings correct as far as I can tell after the 100th time…

See attachment please.

Thanks for your time!

Terry

Terry
    Colorado USA
    [email protected]
    www.terrygipsonphotography.com

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by Terry Gipson.
    Attachments:
Viewing 12 posts - 25 through 36 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.