Sony RX100VII review

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Sony RX100VII review Read 523 Times
  • Bud James
    Bud James
    Participant
    Cameras, Lenses and Shooting Gear
    on: February 15, 2021 at 9:28 am

Kevin, nice review.

I have owned several versions of the Sony RX100 over the years. When it came out, I upgraded to the RX100VII for the longer zoom lens. It’s an amazing camera.

I took this camera along with my Leica M10-P with Summilux 35mm lens on a two week vacation to Scotland and Ireland in late 2019. I took a number of images with the Sony where I needed the reach of the zoom. The resulting images were very nice although you can definitely see the lens IQ limitations compared to the Leica Summilux. However, if I only had the Leica, I would have not been able to capture the images that I did with the Sony.

It’s a fantastic, although expensive, capable point and shoot camera. The only issue with these small $1,000+ cameras is that I had an older one which my wife dropped which damaged the turning ring around the lens barrel. I sent it in for repair and was told that it is unrepairable and that I should buy a new camera, which I did, unfortunately. I bought the Sony leather case for the replacement Sony RX100V for my wife as added protection. So far, so good.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this capable camera.

Regards,

Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at http://www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at http://www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto

• This topic was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Bud James.
    Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Re: Sony RX100VII review
    Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021 at 11:49 pm

I have had each RX100 too.  It’s the camera to have with all the time.  Very capable.  Sometimes you just don’t need the big camera.

Kevin Raber
    CEO & Publisher of PhotoPXL.com and Rockhopperworkshops.com

Dave L
    Dave L
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: June 6, 2022 at 1:53 pm

I’ve had two of these….an RX100-2 that I added the electronic view finder to.  And a used RX100-7 that I bought when I found it for sale.  It’s a wonderful camera.

I haven’t used the RX100-2 since I bought the -7.

DaveL

Toronto

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: June 6, 2022 at 6:58 pm

The vii is just a workhorse.  I am packing for the Palouse and it is going in my carry on.  I have a lanyard around it (learned from Jeff Schewe) that hangs from my next and I can always put it in a shirt pocket but it is there and easily reachable.  Jeff has created a lot of memorable images with these cameras over the years.

Kevin Raber

Jeff Schewe
    Jeff Schewe
    Gold Member
    Reply #4 on: June 7, 2022 at 3:45 am

Yep…when I’m going out shooting I generally have three cameras; Nikon Z7, my Sony RX100 VI (it’s a couple of years old) and of course, my iPhone 13 Pro…each has it’s own strength and weakness but I grab the camera most likely to catch what I want to shoot. The way the MP break down it’s 45, 24 and 12 MP…it’s remarkable how each camera does it’s job-capture!

Bud James
    Bud James
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: June 11, 2022 at 7:08 am

Yep…when I’m going out shooting I generally have three cameras; Nikon Z7, my Sony RX100 VI (it’s a couple of years old) and of course, my iPhone 13 Pro…each has it’s own strength and weakness but I grab the camera most likely to catch what I want to shoot. The way the MP break down it’s 45, 24 and 12 MP…it’s remarkable how each camera does it’s job-capture!

Now with my iPhone 13 Pro, I leave the Sony RX100-VII home.

A few months ago, we visited my daughter who lives in London. I took my new Leica M11 with APO Summicron 35mm and my iPhone 13 Pro. I had my Leica APO Summicron 50mm with me, but it never left my bag.

The camera in the new iPhone is simply amazing and perfect for travel snap shots and videos.

Regards,
    Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at http://www.budjames.photography.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #6 on: June 11, 2022 at 11:17 am

The iPhone 13 Pro is amazing.  shoot the RAW format and export them out.  I then process them in Capture One.  I am pretty blown away by the results.  when exporting, select the RAWs, pretty easy to do since there is an album of just RAWs.  Use EXPORT UNMODIFIED and they will export to where you select and become DNGs.  Then import them into Capture One.

With the new iPad version, I can open them up in C1 directly.  I am using beta and it’s not quite ready for prime time.  I’ll have more to say about C1 on the iPad once it is released.

Kevin Raber

Bob Klein
    Bob Klein
    Participant
    Reply #7 on: July 7, 2022 at 3:07 pm

I’m late to this discussion since I have just joined PhotoPXL. I share everyone’s love of the Sony RX100. I own two, and iii and vii. I’ve never seen one feature discussed, the pop up flash. It has a bounce flash capability in horizontal mode. However one has to assume an awkward finger position to hold the flash upward. Does anyone know of an accessory to hold the flash up or a workaround to hold it up.

Bud James
    Bud James
    Participant
    Reply #8 on: July 29, 2022 at 1:48 am

The iPhone 13 Pro is amazing.  shoot the RAW format and export them out.  I then process them in Capture One.  I am pretty blown away by the results.  when exporting, select the RAWs, pretty easy to do since there is an album of just RAWs.  Use EXPORT UNMODIFIED and they will export to where you select and become DNGs.  Then import them into Capture One.

With the new iPad version, I can open them up in C1 directly.  I am using beta and it’s not quite ready for prime time.  I’ll have more to say about C1 on the iPad once it is released.

Kevin, I have not shot RAW yet on my iPhone 13 Pro. I read that the app Manual is a great iPhone app for shooting RAW. Have you explored this? If so, please share your experiences.

Regards,
    Bud James

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #9 on: July 29, 2022 at 8:00 am

I have come to rely on RAW Power. Capture One on the iPad does OK too.

Kevin Raber

Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Reply #10 on: August 1, 2022 at 10:31 am

I have come to rely on RAW Power. Capture One on the iPad does OK too.

Better than Reeflex, Kevin?

Jeremy

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #11 on: August 2, 2022 at 8:36 pm

Reeflex is a camera app and does a great job and they have another new app out too which I will cover soon.  I am really amazed at how good the raw files from the iPhone are. I think it says a lot about where photography is headed in the future.  If the rumors are true we will be looking at 48mp iPhones next year,

Kevin Raber

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.